ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: opaque space around resized layer?

opaque space around resized layer?

hi! my apologies if this has been answered elsewhere... i am working on a painting with a few layers, and i decided to resize one in the background. however, this resizing has resulted in a white frame around the resized image, which i suppose must be the space left on the canvas? i don't seem to be able to erase this space, so i was wondering if anyone knows how to fix this, or if i must find some other way of changing the composition. thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about layers as I only have the starter edition but I find the white space when trying to resize my paintings to make avatars.

I open the file in 'Paint' (found in 'Accessories' in the computer's Start menu). To get your pic into 'Paint' click on 'File' Then 'open' to find your pic wherever it has been saved then 'Open'. Your pic should then appear on the 'Paint' page.

If you click on the Help menu and 'Help topics' then in 'Contents find 'Create Pictures' then click on 'Change the size of your picture'

I hope that this helps someone even if it may be no use to you ops:

If you're trying to make your entire image, you need to use the "Rescale the Painting" option from the Edit menu. This will resize the entire image. If you want to keep the painting the same size but make the canvas bigger "Resize the canvas" will do this and therefore you'll get a bigger border around the image. Also if you make the image smaller, you may be seeing ArtRage's backdrop behind the edges of the canvas, which is by default white.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding. If you like, feel free to email me at support@ambientdesign.com with a description of what you're trying to do and an example image or two.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

hi! resolved my problem!

actually, i figured it out! let me try to rephrase my problem, because you do seem not to be answering it...

i've got a layered piece. let's say it's a landscape with a character in it. now i've decided that the character is too big, but it is in its own layer. so i want to resize the single layer, but maintain the rest of the perspective of the composition. the problem i had, was that once i resized the character layer to a quarter size, the other 75% of the canvas is now non transparent white. i can't erase it to reveal what is underneath, which makes it easier for me to reintegrate it into the background. the problem i had, is that there seems to be no way to copy a layer onto a non-transparent background. and each copy of the resized layer would have the same problem, because the white space i guess still identifies as "space around canvas" perhaps?

the solution i've found, is to make a new empty layer (which has a transparent background) and then place the resized layer with the content i want on top. then i select the resized layer, and use "merge with layer below". the resulting layer has the content i want AND it is on a transparent background so i can erase to reveal what is underneath. i feel like mendel propagating the layers to reveal the dominant traits. if there is an easier way to do this, by all means i'd love to know what it is!

thanks guys for your responses! i'll post the images in a bit so i can have a visual aid...

Ah, it sounds like you painted your character on a layer with visible paper. In ArtRage (like in the real world), paper colour is kept separate from paint. So you can't erase you paper away.
    What you can do, though, is change the paper settings to make the paper transparent.
    From your layer menu, choose 'Edit paper settings'. Then take the 'Opacity' radial control down to zero %. That will leave your paper entirely transparent.
    Then when you resize the contents of the layer, there will be no visible paper at the edges.

This is also useful if you paint a character onto the base layer, then decide you'd like to add background. You can create a new layer, move the base layer above the new layer, then edit the paper opacity of the two layers so the layer you dragged to the bottom has paper colour, and the layer above has transparent paper.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

thanks!

aha! thank you! i was never ever going to figure that out... can something be added in the manual for that? i just find it very unintuitive. i wrestled for hours before i came up with the solution i posted. there is an opacity gauge for the layer in each layer's menu, so i assumed the paper opacity was the same and would similarly alter the opacity of what i had already painted.

thanks so much for your patience!