Thread: Smeary Gradient

Gallery
    View images

Smeary Gradient

Hello everybody,

I'm a 3-day user of ArtRage (discovered thanks to an enthusiastic friend of mine) and a 1-day member of the forum. Didn't have much time yet to browse all the topics, but it seems that there is some fantastic stuff everywhere.

The "one-hue" project, initially proposed by Andy, is the kind of challenging project that I find very appealing. I propose to constrain the rules even more, and see what kind of surprise could arise from you skillful guys. So here are the rules:

* Version 1: Start from a single layer canvas which contains a single bicolor gradient. The choice of the two limit colors, as well as the shape of the gradient is free, but only one gradient is allowed. Starting from that gradient, you only have the right to "smear" the existing paint with unloaded tools (brush, knife, or whatever) without adding any new paint. What can you paint with such a restricted rule?

* Version 2: Start from the same kind of single gradient picture but this time, you can use it as a tracing paper to automatically pickup the underlying color.

Version 2 offers much more flexibility as you can reorganize the colors much more easily. Version 1 is for the real smearing purists.

Here's an example of a Version1 painting obtained by a 5mn intensive smearing session in ArtRage. Unfortunately, the texture has suffered from the downscale to a 800x500 picture before uploading on the forum, but you got the general idea.

Hope you find the project interesting...

Regards,
    Scirocco
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Nobody inspired yet ?

Here's another one, a bit more elaborated. Well, I've cheated a bit this time, by using some outside-ArtRage post-processing. More precisely, only the upper left quarter of the picture has been generated with the smeary gradient constraint. Then I took the picture to PhotoFiltre Studio (a very nice small photo editor software, with the same freeware vs. low-cost policy as ArtRage) to generate H and V symmetry, and some little spiraling effect.

Any comments ?
    Scirocco

Gallery
    View images
    That's a lazy one (during coffee break)...

very smooth and interesting may i ask how you prosuced the waves in picture 2. i too am a new user
    Life is like someone with multiple personalities, you never know who your gonna get

Gallery
    View images
    Somehow I missed these. That is an awesome blue gradient pic. I liked the
    orange one too with the photofiltre processing. Very striking images, really cool effects.

Gallery
    View images
    Wonderful force fields! 8) 8)
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

'You know what? The one that's just redy-orange reminds me of muscle tissue. I like it.

We're you thinking about windows in the last one? Haha. Bill Gates would be proud.

Gallery
    View images
    Dear Scirocco, wonder full images for the old eyeballs!!!, hope you will let us know how you constructed the four color one,,,,,,,