Thread: Artrage 2.5 issues / comments

Gallery
    View images

Artrage 2.5 issues / comments

First, I have to heap praise upon the developers: ArtRage is a delight to use!

I've been playing around with the starter edition, and there are just a few issues I've experienced that I'd like some help with before I purchase the full version.
    • Is there any way to make the canvas a solid white instead of a visible texture? In Corel Painter the texture of the paper affects whatever media is painted on top of it, but the canvas itself is a solid colour.
    • I can't seem to scroll around the canvas with the pen without acidentally painting on the canvas. (I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Fun.) When I hold down the topmost pen button and drag around the canvas, the screen scrolls, but a small "blob" of paint appears where I first click the pen, even if I'm not in contact with the tablet.
    • I'd like to use a "blunt" marker that doesn't change size based on tablet pressure. Is this possible?
    • Finally, I'd like to use very high resolutions to make printable-quality images. While I really appreciate being able to set the canvas size and dpi, the size of each media type (pencil, marker, oils) and the paper grain don't change to match the dpi. Moreover, I can't seem to change the size of the pencil at all, and the brush and marker sizes seem to have too small of a maximum for 600 dpi. (But, again, I don't really want larger sized brushes with lots of bristles---just higher resolution ones.)
    Other than these issues (and maybe they're just something I'm doing wrong) everything works magnificently. Kudos!

Agreed: ArtRage is just plain fun to use.

1. plain background with textured paint is easy with layers (not available in the starter edition, I dont believe.) Creat a new layer. Edit that new layer's 'paper settings' to whatever texture you want and set the opacity to 0%.

2. I hold the spacebar down when scrolling. I knew there was a reason we evolved a left hand!

3. Blunt marker: try the roller. It looks to be either on or off. Pressure doesn't seem to affect it.

4. Slightly documented: You can type in a larger size brush than 100%. Up to 500%. Maybe this will work for you at larger res? I'm not that familiar with high res. Sorry.

Paul

Gallery
    View images
    You can also turn down the softness of the marker pen to 0%, and use the Art Pen option for very opaque markers
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the reply!

My keyboard is on a different "layer" of my desk, if that makes any sense, and going between it and the tablet is a pain, so I'm not entirely sure the spacebar method works for me for quickly panning around the canvas. Is there no way to suppress the rogue "blobs" of paint?

The other issues seem resolved, though. I appreciate the answers! Again, I have to emphasize what a great experience ArtRage is.

Gallery
    View images
    I've been trying right click drags with the Bamboo fun (I have the lower rocker switch set to right click) and I am unable to replicate the blobs of paint you're seeing at the moment. Could you let me know which OS you're using and which drivers? We should be able to sort it out for you!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Matt! Thanks for the assistance!

I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate Edition.

The upper rocker switch is set to "Right-Click" and the lower rocker switch is set to "Pan/Scroll". When I use the upper button (right-click) the panning and scrolling works, but I get a little blob of paint wherever I initially clicked the rocker switch. It doesn't draw a line as I scroll; it's just an initial blob.

Strangely, this only happens with the pen; not when I use my USB mouse (I don't know if it does this with the Wacom mouse, since I don't use it.)

When I use the lower button ("Pan/Scroll") ArtRage goes into full-screen mode.

I have the latest tablet drivers from Wacom installed. Also, FWIW, I'm using the ArtRage Starter edition (though I'm leaning toward a full purchase very shortly. :-)

Gallery
    View images
    I am having the dot problem too. Wacom intuos 3, latest drivers, vista home premium (ewww...), starter edition.

Gallery
    View images
    Sorry to be a bother, but any word on the "dot" problem yet?

Gallery
    View images
    The latest Wacom drivers do not seem to cause this problem on Windows XP, but installing them on Vista allows me to replicate it. Turning off the 'Flicks' option in the Pen and Input Devices control panel reduces the problem significantly.

The 'Scroll & Pan' option in the Wacom driver appears to simulate a right click when used in ArtRage (as Right-Click drag is used for panning) so holding down the Scroll & Pan button you have allocated and single tapping on the canvas will hide the interface (right click with no drag hides the interface). Holding down the Scroll & Pan button and click-dragging the canvas should correctly scroll without any additional dots being added.

As for the Right click button, it appears that the driver / operating system is sending more than just a right click when that button is held, which causes the application to register a paint stroke. If you turn off the Flicks the problem seems to be reduced, possibly because of changes in the way the OS is reporting right click operations.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.