ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux

Linux

Hello again

Anyone using artrage on linux? It runs quite smoothly through wine, with no major bugs, though there are some very minor issues, the most eh- "serious" one being that the panels move towards the bottom right corner after you switch to another desktop, or minimize the prog. Horizontal ones go to the right, and vertical ones go to the bottom. Reference pics on the other hand revert to their original position. Its not at all important (there's no overlapping and such) only just a bit annoying :P

I was wondering if anyone knew a way to make it remember the positions properly, or if there's some option I'm neglecting ...

Also, are there any plans for a linux port ? Artrage does run quite well, but perhaps a port would be somewhat faster.
    Just wondering if there's one planned in the future.

Thanks =D

Hi Azathoth. I may have talked you tou briefly via email some time ago, the name rings a bell. Glad to hear it's working via wine, and certainly good to know about issues.

While I don't know regarding the panel placement I'm afraid, while we don't currently have plans for a Linux port it certainly is a possibility in the future.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I used it on FreeBSD and Wine, worked ok, but from time to time the cursor got crazy (it made only diagonal lines and from the wrong starting position). Restarting wine and artrage fixed it.

i've been using artrage under wine for quite awhile and it runs quite beautifully, the only problems i've noticed are when saving and harddrive is full there is no notice of failure which can be quite a problem when you lose your work =(

unfortunatly it seems the latest version 2.1 doesn't work,
    gets a runtime error: "R6034 An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly. please contact the application's support team for more information."

fixme:actctx:FindActCtxSectionStringW stub!
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "MSVCR80.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Ambient Design\\ArtRage 2\\ArtRage.exe" failed, status c0000142

i'm guessing its something to do with the new version using version 8 of the MS C library rather than 7.1 and it didn't like me renaming msvcr71.dll to msvcr80.dll ^_^

anyone else had any luck getting 2.1 to work?

found a way to get it to work, a quick google search returned a mailinglist with a post from azathoth =) the suggestion outlined in the reply proved successful

changing
    @ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringA(long ptr long str ptr)
    @ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringW(long ptr long wstr ptr)

to
    #@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringA(long ptr long str ptr)
    #@ stdcall FindActCtxSectionStringW(long ptr long wstr ptr)

in wine/dlls/kernel/kernel32.spec and recompiling wine worked like a charm and i'm now running 2.11 YAY!
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

<blink... blink...>

Okay, great!

Seriously, thanks for posting that here. We occasionally get people asking about Linux.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

lol. Andy, your response made me giggle. Thanks for updating this thread with that info, thesleepless.

- Gita

For the record, just one more person to add to the list saying it would be nice to have a native Linux version of ArtRage. Xara has done great work porting their flagship product over (although they are going the open source route, so that's a bit different). I've been running ArtRage 2 Full through Wine myself and have been loving it.

Unfortunately, I did the update this morning and also had the problem with that C Runtime error. As much as I love AR, compiling Wine for myself is probably at the bottom of the list of things I want to do... so it looks like I'm stuck with 2.0 until the Wine guys make that change by default.

Wine just doesn't know how to handle .manifest files yet.
    They seem to contain info about how to load a specific dll , or something of the sort, so it's not specific to artrage, or to msvcr80.dll.

I think it's a feature that's meant to be added to wine eventually, so we won't have to recompile it.

i really want to buy the full version, but i'm a bit worried because i don't know if it's going to work under linux the same as the free version, anyone tried it? or shall i be the first guineapig?
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...