ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Our own reference photo collection?

Our own reference photo collection?

Do you think it would be a good idea to start a reference photo collection here?

Other art sites have them, where users contribute with their own photos (landscapes, trees, animals, textures, etcetera) and have them organized by categories.

It could be a nice tool for those times when you just don't know what to paint or when you need to tighten up your work or get new ideas... Sure we can get an almost infinite amount of images with Google, but these ones would be "ours" to be used by our community...

I had thought about proposing this some time ago, when I saw a very gross and rude-looking vegetable.
    Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. -S. Beckett

I think it's a wonderful idea.....I have some photo's I have taken myself that I would share here.....

I'll sign on for that. I think it's a great idea.

i've got some cool pics i can load as well, we should just start a post in Art area
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Just to give an idea.

This is one of the best Reference image libraries out there... it has thousands of photos that are constantly added by the Wetcanvas! art community... of course the images are royalty free for their members, since it's a community effort.
    http://wetcanvas.com/RefLib/

When a Wetcanvas! artist uses a reference, they give credit to the original poster of the photo, and it's not unusual to have three or more interpretations of the same image made by different artists going on at once... that's an interesting thing that I think we haven't yet experienced here.

Since that's a pay (voluntary) site, I imagine their infrastructure is quite strong to host so much stuff, but I feel we could start to have some very nice things here in modest quantities... Obviously it would take much more than the interest of a handful of people to get it going, and surely the admins need to evaluate if the idea is worthy of a dedicated part of the forum... but doesn't Art Rage deserve it?

Plus... think of it as a chance to go outside, breathe some fresh air and hone your photography skills!

Nothing may come of this in the end, but the possibility is there...

Cheers
    Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better. -S. Beckett