Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lag when using the soft palette knife

Gallery
    View images

Lag when using the soft palette knife

I've made a new painting, 2000x1000 pixels, default dpi. When I use the soft palette knife at size 100% to try and smooth around the paint, it has quite a delay before it catches up with my movement. I have what I imagine is a fast computer, dual core 2.4Ghz and 2 Gigabyes of RAM. Is there a reason for this? Or is that tool just processor heavy for aliasing or something?

Anything I can do to speed it up?

Thanks, Stuart

Gallery
    View images

Re: Lag when using the soft palette knife

Quote Originally Posted by lostneuron
    I've made a new painting, 2000x1000 pixels, default dpi. When I use the soft palette knife at size 100% to try and smooth around the paint, it has quite a delay before it catches up with my movement. I have what I imagine is a fast computer, dual core 2.4Ghz and 2 Gigabyes of RAM. Is there a reason for this? Or is that tool just processor heavy for aliasing or something?

Anything I can do to speed it up?

Thanks, Stuart
    What dpi are you using? The default 72dpi? 300dpi? Other?

Using XP or Vista or???

Have you tried defragmenting your drive/partition?

Gallery
    View images

Quote Originally Posted by Improv
    What dpi are you using? The default 72dpi? 300dpi? Other?

Using XP or Vista or???

Have you tried defragmenting your drive/partition?
    I use XP. 72 dpi. I'm really not sure how defragmenting helps a program like artrage run faster. :?:

Gallery
    View images

Quote Originally Posted by lostneuron
    not sure how defragmenting helps a program like artrage run faster. :?:
    The same way that it helps any program or file.

From pcmag.com:

Definition of: defragment

To reorganize the disk by putting files into contiguous order. Because the operating system stores new data in whatever free space is available, data files become spread out across the disk as they are updated. Large files may be broken into thousands of fragments, causing the read/write head to move back and forth numerous extra times to read the data. A "defragger" or "optimizer program" rewrites all the files and stores them in adjacent sectors.

Windows comes with the DEFRAG.EXE utility, which can be activated by the Run dialog from the Start menu. Other popular defraggers such as Executive Software's Diskeeper, offer enhanced capabilities.

Users Run the Gamut
    Some users are fanatical about defragging their disks on a regular basis. Others rarely do it, if ever. After defragmenting, performance increases are most noticeable on very large databases that had been heavily fragmented. Because today's computers are so fast, users may not notice any increase in speed with routine applications such as word processing and spreadsheets, especially if the files are small.

A Good Habit
    Nevertheless, defragmenting disks regularly is good practice because it reduces wear and tear on the drive mechanism. In addition, should the hard disk ever crash and you did not back up important files, data recovery experts will tell you that a defragged disk is much easier to restore.

Gallery
    View images
    I have the same problem (lag and slowdown) with any resolution, very little too, and soft blending > 40%.
    With Painter and OpenCanvas I can work with a big canvas (4000x4000 pixels) without any problem at all.

My configuration is the following:
    Windows 2000 service pack 4
    Athlon 64 3200+
    2GB memory

Certainly it's not a maintenance problem, because I'm a maniac about that.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ico_dY
    I have the same problem (lag and slowdown) with any resolution, very little too, and soft blending > 40%.
    With Painter and OpenCanvas I can work with a big canvas (4000x4000 pixels) without any problem at all.

My configuration is the following:
    Windows 2000 service pack 4
    Athlon 64 3200+
    2GB memory

Certainly it's not a maintenance problem, because I'm a maniac about that.
    I had to ask him about defragging. Some people don't maintain their computer and wait till it breaks down. I'm like you-dfrag and backup at least once a week. Keeps things running smoothly. AS for your slowdown, I'd agree that it must be the software if Painter and OpenCanvas run well.

Cheers

Gallery
    View images
    I think it's just the nature of the beast when using the soft knife especially at large knife sizes.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertSWade
    I think it's just the nature of the beast when using the soft knife especially at large knife sizes.
    Me too.
    Maybe the algorithm needs a little optimization...

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the information guys.

Gallery
    View images
    My configuration:
    - Intel Core2 Duo 6600 - 2.40 GHz
    - 2GB RAM
    - HDD SATA2 Seagate (defragmented)
    - Wacom Intuos 2
    - 2 monitors CRT
    - Windows XP with Service Pack 2
    - painting size generally about 3000 x 4000 pixels, 72 DPI
    and...
    lag and slowdown too :?
    But only soft palette knife lagging - so I don't use it

PS.: For me DPI density have not an effect on lag.

| Win - Windows XP SP3 | CPU - Intel Core 2 @ 2.93GHz | RAM - 2GB | HDD - 500GB, 320GB, 250GB |
    | Graphics Card - ATI Radeon HD 4350 | Tablet - Wacom Intuos III A3 | Monitors - LCD 22" & CRT 17" |