ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Start Menu Problem

Start Menu Problem

I don't know if this is a bug or a "feature" but it's a minor annoyance, so I thought I'd report it.

I have my start menu organized in a custom manner and all my graphics applications are in a single top level folder. I noticed today, though, that as soon as I move the ArtRage application folder into my graphics folder (making it a 2nd level start menu folder), it loses the file association for ptg files. So, then when I double click to open one of my paintings it starts up the ArtRage installer. If I move the ArtRage folder back into its original place in the start menu, it will open my ptg files without incident.

It's not a show stopper problem by any means, but it is a bit annoying that I can't move the ArtRage folder where I want it in my start menu without a negative consequence.

I'm using ArtRage 2.5.15 on Windows XP.

Thanks.

Hi Erica

I just tried moving my ArtRage2 start folder into a 2nd level folder to confirm. And now I experience the same problems!!! (so be carefull out there). When I double-click a .ptg icon, a quick installer shows and it re-installs the ArtRage2 folder in the root of the start menu.

But the problem isn't there when I start ArtRage via the Start menu icon. I have previously installed the ArtRage Thumbnail Viewer for Windows (available from http://www.ambientdesign.com/artragedown.html). Did you do so too Erica? I suspect it's there the problems are.

- DoodLS

I didn't install the thumbnail viewer and I notice the same trouble.
    Since I'm used to keep all my graphic applications under a Graphics subMenu, this is annoying.
    Umberto

When i installed artrage i toild the program to go to the folder at the beginning and i don't seem to have that problem
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

That's a strange one!

I'm using 2.5.16 on Windows XP here and I did the following.

1/ Checked that double clicking a PTG file worked with ArtRage in the default Start Menu location.
    2/ Created a folder in the Start Menu called "Graphics"
    3/ Moved my ArtRage folder in the start menu into Graphics so:
    Start->All Programs-> Graphics->Artrage 2->ArtRage shortcut is here
    Note: I'm not using classic menus, just the XP default here
    4/ Double clicked a PTG file to verify that ArtRage still launched.

Let's see what we can find out.

Firstly, the latest version of ArtRage is ArtRage 2.5.16 - Can anyone verify that they can duplicate the problem with this version? I have also tried uninstalling my copies of ArtRage here and doing a 2.5.15 install, then moving the folder as above but so far haven't been able to duplicate this.

Also, if someone is running 2.5.16 and has this problem, please let me know if possible:

The operating system
    What style of start menu you're using if it's Windows XP/Vista ( Classic or default )
    What user permissions you have ( Administrator or other )
    Any differences in the steps to reproduce the problem from your own and mine above, even if they seem minor like the final folder structure in the Start Menu, names of folders etc.
    We'll also have a look here into how the .msi works.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Dave,

I exactly performed the same steps as you.
    But with me the problem exists.

I confirm you that with the ArtRage folder in the original position this doesn't happen.

My configuration is:
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Classical Start menu
    Administrator rights
    (Tha folder structure is the same as yours)

I tried to install both on C:\ drive and on D:\ drive but the effect is the same.

Hope this helps!
    Umberto

Oh, I forgot... with version 2.5.16
    Umberto

Sorry Dave. Yes I'm using artrage v2.5.16 on Windows XP default layout.

I'm unsure about the user permissions I am running (don't know how to tell). I think it's the first user createt called 'DoodLS' - but I may have given it Administrator rights.

Anyhow I have noticed one thing. When I look for the folder in explorer under 'Documents and Settings', the ArtRage 2 folder is found under the 'All Users' folder - not in the 'Administrator' nor in the 'DoodLS' user account folder.

Could it be a language thing? On Windows the complete path to startmenu is localized, mine is called:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Menuen Start\ArtRage 2

Also notice that ArtRage actually does start when double-click'n a .ptg file. It just have to run an installer breifly (about 30 secs) before starting. I'll include a few screen dumps of the installerwindow shown.

DoodLS
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks everyone! I believe this to be related to the .msi installer we're using basically seeing it as a change to the installed configuration and "correcting" it. We're going to do some research here to see what can be done for a future update. I can certainly see how this can be inconvenient. I'm adding it to the buglist right now.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

A further complication has been observed at our school. Since the .msi file is not accessible to students, when they double click a .ptg file the installer comes up as described in this post. But since they can't access the .msi the "install" fails and ArtRage never opens. They can, of course, open the file from within ArtRage, as always.
    Regards,
    Chris G