Thread: Problems with using the eraser on a Wacom pen

Gallery
    View images

Problems with using the eraser on a Wacom pen

When painting with some of the tools and later turning around the pen to erase the eraser mostly works as expected, it doesn't change to the eraser tool unless you explicitly do so (which of course lowers the value of having a special eraser tip on the pen, but as it still erases it's at least worth something )

The thing I'm a bit curious about though is that sometimes when erasing in this way I get a dot of the tool which according to the toolpicker is chosen, I've seen it when using the Oil Paint, Paint Tube, Roller (it's especially visible using the roller, but that might be due to it being larger and visible on its own), and when using the Color Picker I cannot erase in this way at all, it tries to pick up color all the time instead. Haven't tested it thoroughly using all tools, but I suppose that it has something to do with the previous tool not letting go since it behaves like it does using the color picker, and also since it appears in the moment just between not touching the tablet and actually putting the pen down on it to erase. It's more visible using the tools mentioned above, but I would suppose that it's something which affects all tools, just that since some tools require you to press longer nothing shows up due to the eraser taking over by then.

One thing which might be a cause for this is that I'm both having a Wacom Intuos and a Wacom Bamboo plugged in to the computer at the same time, something which obviously isn't very useful at most times.

Unplugged the Bamboo and it still behaves this way, so unless it's a driver issue I suppose it's unrelated. Will try again after rebooting the computer as I got a message about there being some trouble with the driver after installing it. Haven't seen any trouble otherwise though so I doubt it.

And the major reason why I even suspect this is that I haven't tried using the eraser this way before, always changed it in the tool chooser and erased with the lower tip. It was when I tested the Bamboo that I discovered some strange dots with the oil paint while erasing.

Gallery
    View images
    Now I'm getting worried...

After rebooting (and previously unplugging the Bamboo) I get a single-click impression of the selected tool at the end of every stroke, something I'm certain I didn't get before, so it seems as if it's got something to do with their being two tablets plugged in. I'll try to reinstall the Bamboo driver as I got a message that there seemed to be some trouble there.

Another thing I forgot to add is that the tablets both are USB and both were connected using the same USB-hub, something which could complicate things further I guess.

Gallery
    View images
    The fact that the eraser on the Intuos misbehaved seem to be due to something getting wrong during the install of the Bamboo as that works ok after updating to the newest driver from the Wacom website.

But now the eraser end doesn't work as supposed when using the Bamboo at all, I now get both the dot-at-end-of-stroke problem and it doesn't change to eraser when using that part of the pen.

And while the eraser works using the Intuos it doesn't change to the eraser tool when using that part of the pen, but that might be intentional/not implemented?

Gallery
    View images
    Reinstalled the Bamboo driver again and now it works, so I guess my question is reduced to whether or not it's supposed to change active tool to the eraser, something I guess I could have found the answer to at another place in these forums. I'll leave this here in any case though as other users might have the same problem.

(This time I reinstalled with the Bamboo tablet plugged in, might have something to do with it working now)

Gallery
    View images
    Hi there,

On my system here, I have an Intuos III installed with the latest driver downloaded from the Wacom site. I plugged in a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet, loaded up Artrage, chose the paint brush and flipped the stylus over and the eraser worked correctly. Artrage hasn't been tested with multiple Wacom tablets plugged in at the same time with multiple drivers installed, but upon plugging the Intuos back in after I'd added the Bamboo, both tablets appeared to be functioning and eraser was supported in ArtRage.

So, my configuration was Windows XP Pro, latest updates. Wacom Intuos 3 and Wacom Bamboo Fun and only the Intuos 3 driver installed if that's any help in case you find you're still having problems ( you may be able to check your configuration vs mine and see if you can think of any differences ).

Initial install of the Intuos was done with the Intuos plugged in to the system, from the latest downloaded driver.

When you flip the pen over, it should erase but it won't change the active tool to the eraser.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Ok, thanks. When trying again today I still have the eraser problem with the bamboo (dots at the end of some strokes), perhaps should try to do as you did, but as I haven't used the eraser in that way earlier I don't see the need for it now. I prefer to be able to fine tune things with the tool settings. And though I don't know if that has got anything to do with it it's not a Bamboo Fun, but a Bamboo.

Ah well, got that answered at least, and if someone else has got a similar problem they do at least have the chance to find some info about it here.