ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cold lava...

Cold lava...

OUCH MY EYES... the pain... I'm not sure if you can imagine the procedure of trying to focus on refractions and reflections to paint them as exact as possible, besides the whole contrast magic. You have to try to keep your head in the perfectly aligned position, otherwise the refractions and reflections will be different... so it's a constant back and forth between aligning head, staring at what I need to see, turning to the monitor and trying to capture it percisely... which is why it's not really percise, but who cares... kinda worked. So here we go...

Cold Lava:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lava_cold_113.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	10770  

_Lady_Art_ Guest
    so wonderful... it seems like real so much... How did you do that?which tools did you use on this work?

Oh, didn't even say anything, yet. True... sorry!

I've used A WHOLE LOT of Oil crayon (or what is it called again?). It was the best tool to get smooth gradients and this image is full of them. Aside from that it's all the standarts oil brush for all the sharp work and in the beginning some roller for the wall.

I've used a ton of layers on this one. Practically every element is it's own layer, whereby I'd collapse them (merge down), when I was done. The glass in the forground has two layers, one for the basics and refractions and one for all the highlights and some reflections. The pole and the shadow of the pole are their own layers (which i moved around a little until it looked fine) and even the black box (which is my mackie designs mixer actually) is its own layer. The lava lamp had been split into 5 layers at some point before I collapsed it.

I never once had Dry off in the entire making of it. A lot of smudging, though with both soft and hard modes.

That's about it. I think it took almost 6 hours, whereby I spend the majority of the time with the glas (or at least that's what it felt like).

You sure got the surfaces down! Really good lighting.

I love lava lamps, though I don't think I ever owned one that worked right. I'm surprised you have it turned off. Either that, or you have my old one. Well, mine was red. I took mine apart to see what was in it and it never worked again. I'm handy that way.

Hahaha, I havn't had that one turned on for years! It's still from germany even and I'm in the US for almost 10 years. But I still have it close to me, which could be considered odd. I'm kinda too greedy, too, because it just sucks up power for no good reason, besides the whole heat thing. That in turn could be a good reason, if it was ever cold enough in California, hahaha....

Anyway, when they cool down the slowely but surely melt into two pieces, whereby the cap on top eventually falls down. This is what you're looking at here. If I turn it on it will eventually do this beautiful first BURST, creating this bizarrely beautiful stuff. I thought for a moment to let that happen, but eh... greedy and impatient! :P

I have a red one, too, actually... no idea where though, haha! :roll:

Thanks, by the way!

WOW Taron :shock:

This is a marvellous diplay of your prodigious painting skills. And then there is the fact that you are always so generous as to divulge your painting process and hand out tips to the eager-and-hungry-beginners (such as myself :wink: ).
    For this I thank you kindly, because now rather than feeling thawted (by my own comparative ineptitude ops: ) you encourage me to feel inspired instead!

And as for your splendid work Taron, I can only say "Bravo!"

Great work on textures, lighting and reflections

Ah, the stuff dreams are made of.
    I dream that one day I may paint like this.
    Or perhaps I could own the gallery where your
    work is sold.
    It is sublime work Taron!

This is another gorgeous painting. Your attention to detail is phenomenal. It's fantastic the way you capture all the reflections and refractions of the glass.
    I had a lava lamp but it got broken. Shame really, they're wonderful toys. I love the big brain-shaped ooze of wax when its first turned on as well.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Wow...you are truly wonderful at this