ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Messin' with paper.

Messin' with paper.

There are a couple of things you can do with paper texture that isn't immediately obvious until you mess around with it a bit.
    For example, you can set the paper grain image to be a digital photograph, then rub a chalk lightly overtop to create a 'rubbing' of an image. If you then replace the paper texture with standard paper, you can touch up the result slightly.
    (If you're using a mouse, when I say 'press lightly', adjust the pressure radial control for the tool to give the same effect)

Similarly, if you load a digital photograph as a paper grain, make the paper metalic silver, then use the crayon tool in various shades of metalic gold to rub at different pressure overtop, you can get gold-burnished silver.

Varying the pressure you rub with the crayon tool varies how deep it pushes into the crevasses and dips in the paper, so if you press heavily with one colour, then choose another colour and rub lightly overtop, you can get layered highlights.

Note: The images have loaded in reverse order - bottom to top - so stand on your head to view in correct sequence.

AndyRage.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

i never thought of trying this,
    takes me back to a brass rubbing i did at school (of a knight with his loyal dog)
    i'll have to look on the net, see if i can find the image and re-live my childhood (missing out the teachers and other kids...and school dinners.)

what other secrets does AR contain? (if it could make the tea so i didnt have to move away from my pc...)

Wow... I don't recall ever seeing this done in any 2D package. Digital gold leaf, nice Andy.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Metallic Work

Stunning!

I'm now riffling through my photos to find something to try that out!

That could be a very commercial feature.

I wonder what it would be like at A3 or A2 done by a professional printer.

ArtRage is like a magic box, it contains far more things than there should be room for!

(If anybody else prints out this tutorial, put the printer onto Landscape mode first.)
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Metallics

I still haven't worked out where the embossed background to the Jaguar came from, but I'm persevering!

This one is simpler but turned out less indented.
    How did you get them so deep?

This one was:-
    Run pic through Photoshop to get it in Gray Scale and the right size.
    load it as a Grain. Turn up the roughness and choose a Metallic canvas colour.

I Applied an overall coating of Gold Metallic Spray, then rubbed it back with the Eraser.

I'm finding that a Graphics Pen, Airbrush tool, Eraser tool and Layers will do almost anything!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looking at that airplane picture, Aged P, it struck me that it might look stunning to paint the plane in non-metalic media, but leave the sky and clouds as they currently are. That sky is very moody - I like it a lot.

AndyRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

I'll try that.

That's good Andy. Or even the other way round, a golden plane in a conventional sky.

Any Lancaster is a thing of beauty.
    DaveyJJ --> artspin.com | widgetmonkeys.com | 729design.com
    "Inside each one of us is an artist ... a child who has never lost the gift of looking at life with curiousity and wonder." Arthur Lismer

Looking good! I think that the "depth" of the final result is a product of the strength of contrast between the colours in the image ( correct me if I'm wrong Andy ) so if you have an image with strongly contracting colours the amount of depth should look more pronounced. Hope that's of some use!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Another thing to try here is change the roughness of the paper grain as you go. For example, start with a paper grain roughness of around 10% and you'll find the colour applies to a large amount of the paper. Then boost the roughness to 100% and change colours, you'll get highlights in the new colour.

Removing the paper grain completely and making the underlying paper a darker colour can also bring up some of the metallic effects.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.