ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Custom shortcuts!

Custom shortcuts!

To be honest hardcoding shortcuts likes this is dictatorship. And I believe some of the shortcuts are not well thought at all. For example why would you want "eraser" on "=". That is such backward way of optimization. You want eraser to be close to your left hand if you are righhanded. Sorry for harsh words but developers need to provide custom shortcuts option to users.

Point of shortcuts is speed not turning our brains upside down when we want to use them.

k

I agree, custom shortcuts and for all things available in the app.

Ever heard of AutoHotKey? It's an easy scripting language that can be used to customize your keyboard,mouse, and various parts of windows. I made a simple script to change the keys in artrage like so:

Code:
    #IfWinActive, ahk_class ArtRage
    a::Left

s::Right

B::1=
    I found that window class on the first line there by using AutoIt's Window Spy that comes with autohotkey. Autohotkey (or AHK) comes with a help file with lots of examples, references, and explainations. They also have a support forum. Ah...since I can't post an address yet, just google for "autohotkey" . Should be the first result there. :roll:

Yes I use ahk for many things. But my point was not about workarounds, these kinds of things should be planned during developement and it should not be a burden on users.

I completely agree. Being able to customize an app to your needs should be easy and open. It would be nice to be able to set a hotkey for each brush or holding a hotkey and using the mouse wheel to change a brush setting. Basically anything that forces the user to stop painting and deal with the interface/shortcuts/menus will make any program a burden to use. The idea should be to not have the interface or hotkeys in the way all the time...or be a hinderance. Speed is addictive :wink:

6. We use Artrage extensively for painting backgrounds for our animated series Halvseint (The Fairly Late Show - nrk.no/halvseint)

Since we're using Norwegian keyboard layout the shortcuts get rather annoying. I constantly switch between paint roll and erase, and the = shortcut is just too hard to use (shift + ?). I also hit Z a lot when undo-ing, which means another click everytime I make a mistake.

Ambient Design: Please add custom shortcuts to an update!

And another simple idea: What about Shift + scroll wheel changes brush size? And when you're at it, a square eraser would make my life easier!

I agree completely!

Being on a Danish keyboard, some of the shortcuts are hard to get at (the numbers row doesn't look like a US keyboard).

For the brush size / loading / pressure, you could look at Silo (3D modeling app) for inspiration. In sculpt mode, sort of a digital clay / ZBrush thing that lends itself well to a tablet, you have a brush as well. With the middle mouse button (assignable to a Wacom button) pressed, you can move up / down to increase / decrease the size of the brush, and left / right to control the intensity. Very fast.

My suggestion is to use a modifier key, like alt, for the same thing. Of course, also reconfigurable.

Quote Originally Posted by sbn..
    I agree completely!

Being on a Danish keyboard, some of the shortcuts are hard to get at (the numbers row doesn't look like a US keyboard).

For the brush size / loading / pressure, you could look at Silo (3D modeling app) for inspiration. In sculpt mode, sort of a digital clay / ZBrush thing that lends itself well to a tablet, you have a brush as well. With the middle mouse button (assignable to a Wacom button) pressed, you can move up / down to increase / decrease the size of the brush, and left / right to control the intensity. Very fast.

My suggestion is to use a modifier key, like alt, for the same thing. Of course, also reconfigurable.
    And I'm on a Swedish keyboard (I think its similar to the Danish and Norwegian). I think this problem is for everyone that doesn't use an English keyboard layout. To be able to customize all the shortcuts would make it so much easier.

I just wanted to add that I love the idea of holding down a key(cutomized) and then just drag the pen up and down for size and to the sides for softness - hardness of the tool. It would also be preferd that we can set what option we want it to do while dragging up and down or to the sides.