ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Hillside

Hillside

One I've been working on and off the last couple of days.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A real wonder: palette, the two strokes patterns and the composition are astounding! The upper part and the colours reminds me a 19th century catalan painter I appreciated very much whose name, I'm getting old, sorry, I cannot remember.
    It's unusual two have such two strongly neatly separate strokes pattern/ texture and it may not convince someone perhaps, but I do like it and every bit of innovative approach leading to a pleasant result Actually and restrictively, I do not comprise into art something which has not an artisanal unique content and is not either emotionally stimulating and or cathartic and or pleasant and beautiful to enjoy, certainly not what is merely trasgressive.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Remembered. He was Joaquim Mir. In particular a painting of Mallorca with a water poll, rocks and trees!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Astounding, Bob.

No crit from me on this piece. It's yet another potentially terrific direction.

My comment would be that you have come upon a few really cool looks that are somewhat different from each other.

Because you are relatively new to the art game, and because you have delighted in selling your work, I think it's time to bring this up. Use it or if it doesn't resonate with you, ignore it.

Exploration is good and dabbling is fun and sorta carefree. But if you want to build a name, you're going to want to narrow it down to one style and stick with it for at least a dozen pictures, if not many more. Explore painting within that range of technique.

The reasons to tighten your focus are myriad, not least of which is that much of learning in art is empirical and bouncing makes that hard to get past the happy accident, or the imitative stage.

My experience is that one can luck into a satisfactory look in one painting, and it can occasionally be brilliant. But bouncing about, as fun as it is, doesn't establish any guidelines that you can later take to mastery. Most of one's focus is in the initial stages, and then it's about trying to somehow pull it together. Whereas, if you had been kind of consistent, you could be putting your energy into polishing and finesse. It's impossible to explain to someone who has not experienced it.

Careful, or you'll find yourself having to start from ground level an awful lot.

Nobody but you is going to tell you to set limits. But if you're going to get serious about selling, and getting really good, you will need to work on building a style and reputation. Without it, art will remain a cool pastime.

Let your style develop organically. And that only can come from painting a lot in a certain direction. It's not like discovering radium or something.

This painting is so successful, I would love to see you do other things like it.

You got her pregnant. Do the right thing and marry the girl.

Hi Bob,

This is very different but very beautiful one you have here. Like old painting. I like it very much especially the brush strokes.

Big WOW, Robert. Awesome work :shock:

Caesar, Pai, Nika ... thank you very much.

DA. I completely understand what you're saying and agree. I do think I'm narrowing in one look or another and this one may be very close to that ... or not. At this point, I just can't make that commitment. I'm comfortable with this approach certainly yet I know how much potential you saw in the lighthouse impressionist offering and don't feel that I've explored that approach enough. So for the short term, I'll probably continue to cast about a bit and let things unfold as they will ... perhaps a synergy of various things I've tried will be the outcome. I always appreciate your input. To echo somewhat the words of Jacktar ... this community would be a poorer place without your presence.

Anyway, as I don't see anything that I feel needs to be done to this one, I'll be moving it into my gallery.