Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick's Rage Against the Machine Spot

And some ale . . .

Many thanks guys. Your kind, supportive comments are always appreciated.

Here is where that giant thing went to.
    Plus another thing in the pipeline, which may well ahve to go right on the back burner wile I get on with paid work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copse-Coiffure-Nick-Harris.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	66021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nick-Harris-T-H-I-WIP2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	123.9 KB 
ID:	66023   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nick-Harris-T-H-I-WIP3.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	66024   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	There-he-is-WIP-NickHarris.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	66025  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Here is one more on that last thing - a detail.

Talking of paid work as I was, here are three beer labels just done - I've submitted them to the gallery today also.

They are for Broughton Ales, a small, independent brewery on the Socttish borders. http://www.broughtonales.co.uk/

It's part of a revamp of some of their established ales plus launching some new ones. I only did the main image and not the label design. That was supplied by them and I don;t know what software they used unfortunately.

The labels are copyright Nick harris and Broughton Ales 2012 of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	There-he-is-WIP-NickHarris-.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	66026   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dunter-label-Nick-Harris.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	66027   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brewer-label-Nick-Harris.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	145.4 KB 
ID:	66028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merlin-label-Nick-Harris.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	66029  
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Hey Nickilus, heavy stuff out there

I learn a lot from your pages...

Best,

Weeks

Gorgeous as always Nick

Loving the illustrated lables -what a fun & beautiful way to do them.
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Dear Nick, I always appreciate Your works very much for at least two reasons:
    1. they all have a top class level of quality (masterpiece too I'd say)
    2. they always keep me very humble
    Thank You very much for sharing Your marvels and procsses with us and be informed that I downloaded most of Your works and sketches under the Nick Harris file in my gallery of masters and artpieces I like the most (with quite a number of the greatest painters and illustrators of the past).
    I hope I may have Your permission to keep them in this absolutely personal collection of my preferred artistic images ever.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

What's interesting to me is how well lit they are. This is a compositional thing that Nick just has down. It often blows my mind.

I love how, in the one with the wizard, we've got him backlit from the left with this rich orange glow, which outlines the hat and his sleeves and gives him that "pop", and yet he's also lit but this pale blue in the front. There's real drama in it.

The evil looking gnome/dwarf also has a very strong down light, as well as a bit of back lighting, which you can see around the edges of his clothes.

It's this sort of dual lighting process, outlined edges where the light cuts around the character, and the strong lighting on the faces that leads to some really interesting compositions. These are really fun Nick, and quite instructive! They were lucky to get you to work for them.

jaw is on floor.... cannot speak..... wow...
    Super Nick Art (SNA)
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    What's interesting to me is how well lit they are. This is a compositional thing that Nick just has down. It often blows my mind.

I love how, in the one with the wizard, we've got him backlit from the left with this rich orange glow, which outlines the hat and his sleeves and gives him that "pop", and yet he's also lit but this pale blue in the front. There's real drama in it.

The evil looking gnome/dwarf also has a very strong down light, as well as a bit of back lighting, which you can see around the edges of his clothes.

It's this sort of dual lighting process, outlined edges where the light cuts around the character, and the strong lighting on the faces that leads to some really interesting compositions. These are really fun Nick, and quite instructive! They were lucky to get you to work for them.
    Agreed... I am also astounded by the lighting, and also the anatomy and perspective...
    I remember Nick pointing out the useful habit of using multiple rulers with the pin set to anchor a point, but understanding the complex rules of perspective and vanishing points frequently foils the likes of me!

I love the drama that the perspective gives to that illustration of the giant... and the strength of that beautifully rendered hand and arm, then ending with the idea of the tree growing out of his head and a flock of black birds... *Sighs* How I wish for such marvelous skills!

We are all so fortunate that you are a forum member dear Nick!
    P.S: I was wondering if you ever use references for anatomy or such like, or how did you achieve your holographic understanding of anatomy?
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. (Mark Twain)

I agree, the lighting and characterisation are always top notch with your images Nick and these are no exception! I might be nipping down to the borders at some point, will have to look out for the beers.
    Sav

This stuff is so good. I salute you on all the hard work it took for you to reach this level.