Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick's Rage Against the Machine Spot

Your work is such a pleasure to view Nick. I don't get the time to view as many places as I would like to on the forums, and have missed so much of your delightful paintings. I had to fav many of them on DVA-and add my name to your list of admirers.
    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and the best of everything in this coming New Year to you and yours!

Dear Nick, I just bought DrawPlus too and I still have to get acquainted, but it looks like there are several complementary features with AR3 so they should form a great couple. There was a discount and PanoromaPlus as a gift (actually I think nobody really pays the full price).
    Thank You for Your suggestion then!
    Now there's a learning curve to descend , but it shouldn't be much more complex than ArtRage, although less natural apparently.
    I guess You may only exchange between them only single layer images in universal standards ....
    Since I don't usually like to study terms and conditions of the hundreds of Licence Agreements we face everyday on comuters issues, do You know whether I'm legally allowed to use DrawPlus on more than one of my computers?
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

From the license:

Hans
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by haakoo; 12-30-2010 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickillus View Post

Here's a bit more progress on the life drawing one, with a grab from it alongside.

Hello Nick. A query from a newbie, so be gentle in your reply please On the life drawing in post #49, the light at the front looks to be at a weird angle (to these eyes at least) . Would it not be better falling parallel to the back light???
    Last edited by Chuckart; 01-02-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Thank You, dear Hans/ Hakoo!
    I just wondered, since I installed it on a portable computer (a laptop), does it reversely mean I may also install and use a copy of it on a desktop one then? I also paid an extra fro two year extra copy as a sort of insurance from cracking computers etc.
    As for the use it is anyway a personal one (for myself), since I don't run any business or have any company or employee thereof dealing with pictures manipulations or selling paintings this far.
    I should probably ask Serif which would be price, terms and conditions, if any, to possibly use it on my office desktop, always for personal use in case just for reviewing and insert limited amendments in case.

Thumbs up

Absolutely amazing.. i love your work very very inspiring!

Thanks for the kind words folks - and great to see you looking into DrawPlus Caesar - I particularly like that your query was thoroughly answered before I even had time to notice it. Excellent interaction, chaps.

Chuckart - never be afraid of asking questions, criticising, poking fun or whatever feels right at the time, especially with me. My stuff is about as far from perfect as you can get - full of mistakes, bad choices and never what I first envisaged.
    I see your point about using parallel light sources, but using light sources from differing directions was a deliberate, if contrived ploy. I wanted it to feel more like you were looking from an internal room to one where the light source came directly from outside. It leads the eye into the picture more, whilst also suggesting that there may be other objects affecting how the light is bouncing around. That's my story and I'm sticking to it - ahem, cough.

Meanwhile here's a tiny bit of progress on that dragony one.
    Last edited by Nickillus; 01-14-2011 at 02:49 PM.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Chuckart - never be afraid of asking questions, criticising, poking fun or whatever feels right at the time, especially with me. My stuff is about as far from perfect as you can get - full of mistakes, bad choices and never what I first envisaged.
    I see your point about using parallel light sources, but using light sources from differing directions was a deliberate, if contrived ploy. I wanted it to feel more like you were looking from an internal room to one where the light source came directly from outside. It leads the eye into the picture more, whilst also suggesting that there may be other objects affecting how the light is bouncing around. That's my story and I'm sticking to it - ahem, cough.

Thanks Nick. Got it.

Next query

I watched Cris De Lara's Conan Vid on It's Art and found it very interesting that she used a fair few reference images to produce her work and would like to know if you do similar to produce your excellent illustrations.
    Last edited by Chuckart; 01-14-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckart View Post
    Thanks Nick. Got it.

Next query

I watched Cris De Lara's Conan Vid on It's Art and found it very interesting that she used a fair few reference images to produce her work and would like to know if you do similar to produce your excellent illustrations.
    I love Cris and the way she tackles her art- and she is very generous with the way she shares her knowledge. She's a very talented lass, which helps in the outstanding results she obtains course.

Our approaches are quite different. I work almost exclusively out of my head, mostly because that's how I grew up trying to do it. I'm so thick that it never occurred to me when I was a nipper, that folk might use models. Duuuh! That should encourage you.

Did the college bit and learned how to do it that way too, but I'm not really organised enough to get all the right figure reference together and such. Nor am I much good at life drawing. You get good at what you practice and I don't work at that. Costume, and accessories often need research, yes, but I like to construct the figure from scratch as much as possible.

Yes I have lot of anatomy books I've looked at. Yes I've done life classes at college that must feed my knowledge base. Yes I suppose I surreptitiously stalk folk without meaning to, so I can people watch. My theory is that if I can get enough control over building an image from scratch without slavish reliance on reference, then I will ultimately have more freedom in what I can create. It's a flawed logic but I'll go with it for the moment.
    Thanks for thinking some of what I come up with may show promise.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

I work almost exclusively out of my head, mostly because that's how I grew up trying to do it. I'm so thick that it never occurred to me when I was a nipper, that folk might use models. Duuuh! That should encourage you.

Did the college bit and learned how to do it that way too, but I'm not really organised enough to get all the right figure reference together and such. Nor am I much good at life drawing. You get good at what you practice and I don't work at that. Costume, and accessories often need research, yes, but I like to construct the figure from scratch as much as possible.

Yes I have lot of anatomy books I've looked at. Yes I've done life classes at college that must feed my knowledge base. Yes I suppose I surreptitiously stalk folk without meaning to, so I can people watch. My theory is that if I can get enough control over building an image from scratch without slavish reliance on reference, then I will ultimately have more freedom in what I can create. It's a flawed logic but I'll go with it for the moment.
    Thanks for thinking some of what I come up with may show promise.
    Dear Nick, even if I'm light years far from Your capabilities and talent, notwithstanding some times I make a copy excercise to train, I'm absolutely on line with You about freedom from references (apart from some landscape painting), generally not used, sometimes only to spot characteristic features to make them more credible, but often in different enough postions and poses ...
    I feel also this approach to be a real measure of personal progress and talent and a way to be honest with myself thereabout.