Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Nick's Rage Against the Machine Spot

beautiful as always Nick its been too long since ive had much time to browse the forums but your pages are a lovely welcome back.
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

crash

Wish I could be more joyfull today....Won't be able to meet you in the challenge for a while Nick......Lightning struck in our neighbourhood and my pc died......20 gig of data is lost! 4 months of illustrations and assignments..Bought a new pc in a hurry just to find that modern pc's don't support my 1995 wacom artpad anymore....and so most of the old programs I work with... What good is artrage if you have to poke around with a mouse......

In my next live I will live in Backup country.....

Arjen

Another WOW in front of Nick's stunners and I'm really sorrow for Arjen's terrific accident.
    As an aged guy I fortunately always trusted very little electronics files, so, notwithstanding I don't commercialize my outcomes, I always preferred to have some copies here and there and also some print of the best ones (the same with pictures), but this is much easier to do for an hobby that when You're pressed by painting and drawing as a job and You don't have time or a secretary to back-up and store it all appropriately. A real pity, but I'm sure it's going to be fixed soon (at a cost for the new tablet I'm afraid, unless some updated driver may be found or written).
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

happy update

My brother in law managed to rescue my 2 harddisks......Got my illustration files back...wich was on and off almost 5 years worth of illustrations.....

Now the quest starts for the right connection for my artpad....stole the tiny thrust pad from my son...but it's very fiddly and strange to work with....but I'm back on track....pfeeww.. :-)

Thx Ceasar for your kind words!

Arjen

Thanks Caesar.

Arjen - I feel your pain my friend. Lost a bunch of stuff like that when a hard drive corrupted a year or two back. Even recovery software only managed to get back small amounts and no layered files.
    Things sound thankfully more promising for you, and I am happy at least about that if not that you've had to suffer the horror and stress that goes with the realisation of how much stuff you can lose like that.

That said, Norman Rockwell the famous 'died in the wool', real world illustrator of Saturday Evening Post fame never used a computer - but lost years of work when a fire engulfed his custom built studio, during his long career. There's no fail safe way to keep your body of work it seems. That's supposed to make you feel better, but reading it back I fear it may depress you more. Not the intention. Go save that artwork Arjen. And best of luck with your tablet.

Might it be worth checking on Ebay for reduced price Wacoms that are more up to date. You should be able to get an A5 Intuos 3 without having to sell all your children. I have an A5 and an A4 both bought from Ebay and they've been absolutley fantastic. Obviously I don't know your budget but there's one on the UK site for a 'buy it now' price of £150 - it's second hand and admits a casing scratch but . . . .. Just as an example. New is better but both of mine are second hand.

Or how about an alternative maker that is getting great reviews - Hanvon Artmaster III. No second handers yet, but they are slightly cheaper than the top Wacoms new and have comparable performance apparently.
    Hanvon Artmaster on Ebay UK

Nothing much in terms of progress on the imagery for the tale while I thrash round with the story ideas, so just a playful tweak of the cover text to look at. AR and DrawPlus X4
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Nickillus; 06-22-2011 at 11:42 PM.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

tablet

Thx Nick for your kind words and mentioning the tablet.
    Just ordered the hanvon art master 1308 for 400 euro's

Decided to go for a brand new one.....not being able to purchase trough ebay.....haven't got an creditcard....

So hopefully i will be up and running again in a couple of days!!
    Very eager to continue with the challenge and the sleeping beauty illustration....

Although the cover is a bit dark.....Still love Cuthbert!!!

Yours

Arjen

Awesome! This cover is a real stunner and I really wonder how did you made it so perfectly looking like an old, worn-out leather book with brass letters on relief etc..

Hey Arjen - would be really interested to hear how you get on with the Hanvon and what your assessment is of it, if you wouldn't mind, please. And yes the cover is a bit on the dark and sombre side at the moment. You're right, it does need brightening.

Thanks Caesar. The texture is built up in overlaid layers painting through a variety of textural stencils (made from photos of surfaces I took here and there - and some free downloaded ones as well I think - always check the licence for use on stuff like that though)

Here's a couple of quick snapshots of some of what's going on in my machine at the moment. The fairytale one is work so I can't show too much - the other is a base layout idea for the Puns Upon a Time tale. Plan is to follow several tales at once with little accompanying drawings in the gaps, leading to more elabrate illustrations further on as the text and plot tensions allow. Yep - far too complicated an idea for a nitwit like me to get to work, but you have to try - right?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NickHarris-Fairytale-WIP1-2011.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	57290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NickHarris-PunsUponaTimeidea-WIP-2011.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	57291  
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

What can you say that has not already been said. You have got great skill and a fantastic imagination Nickillus.

Thank You again, dear Nick, for both Your explanation and marvels!
    This last toad or frog character is, again, really spectacular and excellently painted.
    Your palette and delicate lighting is sheer pleasure for the eye and the mind. Your illustrations transmit a natural, human-sized style of life and time passing pace and has none of the neurotic look of most of todays paintings and movies, a real rarity which talks of artisanal patience and unique, personal mastery and which would deserve to be particularly appreciated in this age of madness.