Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Rickman - First ArtRage

Gallery
    View images

Alan Rickman - First ArtRage

Hi everyone!

I'm new to ArtRage and this forum - in fact, I'm new to digital painting!

I'm a very traditional artist, who has finally come around to seeing computers as an acceptable way to create art. I fought it for a long time, but that's a whole other debate!

This is my first digital portrait. It was a challenge, using tools I'm so unfamiliar with and yet familiar with at the same time! But I always did enjoy a challenge, so I WILL be doing more!

Critique please!

Many thanx,
    Helen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Fine actor.

If you want a critique on the likeness, the original photo would be helpful.

Gallery
    View images
    I really want critique on the technical/tips aspect, thanx!

I don't like art to be a 'spot the difference' kind of thing.

I'm more interested in - are my values OK? And colours? Is anything too disturbing or distracting to the eye? Could I have used the ArtRage tools in a different way, to suit the subject better, for example? Stuff like that...

:!: But, of course, you can say whatever you like as well!

Helen

Gallery
    View images
    First of all the portrait is wonderful and concentrates very well on the parts enhancing the cogitative pose (I suppose he's the one who played also a Harry Potter professor). The tones (greys) are OK as well, so are the colours considering that apparently You used only one layer or You did not use layers extensively for transparent glazes as in ancient times, nor did You use a more extreme impressionistic technique. There's only a colour area that, in my view, is slightly to red, in the centre left of the front.
    So the only technical significant improvement, certainly allowed by ArtRage tools, would be perhaps on the skin texture perception which might be expected in such a near field portrait. (to be perfectionist)
    Artistically speaking the portrait does not extract all of the intimate psychology of the subject, but this is almost impossible from a picture of a guy You either do not see or know personally and it rarely occurs anyhow, mostly on portrait of the greatest masters in art history. I would also look in future for a slightly more original interpretation departing somehow from national "art school learnings" which tend to homologate and repeat traditionally success styles.
    I hope this is in line with what You expected as a critique and I hope You will forgive me for daring to express my views to an evidently high professional artist without any real competence in art critique (I only have a passion for art history and paintings) and a far poorer painting skill, .
    Best wishes
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    Hello Caesar!

Thanx so much for your very interesting critique!

As for "art school learnings", I am entirely self-taught. I'm afraid I am just naturally 'tight' and pedantic. :roll:

I would LOVE to be more "painterly", and it's something I fight with constantly. Believe it or not, this IS quite loose for me! (Below you can see an example of my traditionally created work.)

I am actually hoping that ArtRage will help me to loosen up in my interpretation of images. Next time I will try harder to let go of some of the control I cling to in all things!

Thanx so much for taking the time to assess, comment and ultimately assist my awareness!
    All the best to you,
    Helen
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    both the portraits are wonderful.....
    the second one is of "snape"...... the harry potter character i believe ....i don't know the original name actually!!!

The conscious utterance of thought, by speech or action, to any end, is Art.

MYblog
    MyDeviantArtProfile

Gallery
    View images
    I'm glad You interpreted well my positive intent and You felt all the appreciation towards Your evident absolutely natural (You told us) gift.
    You must be undobtedly intelligent, self-aware and wise enough to know Your provisory limits (to fully convince and satisfy Yourself more than others) so that You'll be able to overcome them over and over.
    Obviously all of us are immersed in a specific culture that may keep us within determined school learnings. What we use to use tend to pose constraints to our taste somehow.
    I'm sure that You'll be far more successful than I was to find new ways and tracks as well as to confirm and refine Your traditional one with Art Rage which, in this sense, is and absolute wonder! There are plenty of AR mates here who improved and changed styles dramatically. You'll certainly get another dimension of artistic freedom.
    Cheers (I apologise for my english in case)
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Gallery
    View images
    Welcome to the forums, Facenna.
    Those are both fantastic portraits - full of character and expression.
    I look forward to seeing more of your work.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I'm new not only to digital painting, but painting in any form, so I lack the experience to comment on your techniques, etc., but I know good work when I see it, and your's is excellent.

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Facenna,

To me, these are excellent portraits. I'm also new to painting since I got Artrage in February. So, I only have more than half year experience in painting (actually digital one only) and I cannot give any advice since I need it myself to help me. Could I ask how long have you been self-teaching in drawing/painting to be this good.