Thread: Lighting idea

Gallery
    View images

Lighting idea

Painting Light!

I had another idea i was thinking on instead of having a multiple point lighting editor like the old KPT i mentioned some time ago.

I was thinking about Image Based Lighting/HDRI.

Ambient Lighting from multiple directions while painting and less clutter for the UI as well verses the KPT-Point Lights Sphere idea.

This might be facinating for those who might want the art work to look like as if it were painted in any given realistic environment like a forest on a bright day for example. Take a .exr image of the bright daylight forest into Art Rage in the paper settings window and the oil paints for example would look as if it was lit in a bright daylight forest setting which would replace the one direction shadow information that is common place in Art Rage right now although i am not sure if it being in the paper settings window would work?

The imported .exr file lighting data would feed directly to any of the paint tools with lighting and shadow information.

Gamma settings might be something to consider for the HDRI Lighting also.

I modified the UI to see how this may look if it were implemented somehow... i hope it is OK that i did this? :?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hdri_lighting_concept_903.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	249.0 KB 
ID:	1125  

Gallery
    View images
    I think this probably something for the future ArtRage Pro version.

I see where you are aiming and also some of the things it would make possible, but I'm also a traditional painter.

If multi shadows would be a part of the scene or object, then I put them in as I paint. I deliberately seek out things with a single light source and avoid multi sources, unless it's in a man made environment. This doesn't exclude reflected light, from clouds or walls.

If the KPT light sphere, which is already hidden inside ArtRage, was made accessible it would certainly help with textured paintings. There is said to be a left handed v right handed preference for light direction. To me the present choice suits left handed people.

I would settle for a preferences switch to shift the source to the top right.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    That's a very cool UI mock-up, Sethren.
    I doubt we'd need to expose that much control over lights though.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    It is cool. But Andy - when I did mine, you pointed out that I missed the shadows under the words -- and I even found the font! :lol:

Back on topic... I would not mind having lighting controls available, but personally doubt that I would use them much. I'd hope this would come after the most common requests, memory mgmt improvements, etc.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    I doubt we'd need to expose that much control over lights though.
    Yeah... your probably right... maybie just the Pro version for those who want more control over the look of the thick mediums according to surrounding light sources......

Perhaps we could just leave the non-pro version to just a .exr import? only and no adjustment controls(Pro Only for that?)... because there are times i feel that i want my thick paints to look as if they were lit by more then one source of light rather then just a single point light... if i were to print out a very good painting for example it could look as if it were done in a bright room with sunlight refracting off of the walls and maybie an inner tungsen light from another direction as well......

Then again i suppose there is always the Light Sphere idea as well unless there is something even more innovative/less UI clutter then that? i don't know......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey drzeller... where is your mock up? I missed that one. heh,heh.......

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Sethren,

If you'll excuse the expression, I think the light has just dawned!

I have done some heavy textured acrylics in the past, but with real paint.
    Hence not a lot of trouble with how the paint was lit, it obviously changed depending on where people were standing. There was always an angle where it looked better.

You have got to try and hit that spot by altering the lighting on the painting. So you need the maximum number of variables you can get your hands on. Brighter and warm from one angle, perhaps coupled with cool and diffused from others. You're putting the studio into the painting.

Still a feature for the Pro version, but it means that I would buy that version as well!
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Now that were talking about lighting i remember a thought came to mind... a few years ago i had my first 3 oil tubes and a small canvas for a birthday gift... it was the first time i had ever used oils... it was a cloud scape and i remember the lighting over the oil textures changed every time i moved the painting from room to room and from sunrise to sunset... pretty neat now when i think about it......

Gallery
    View images
    A very simple idea i thought is having a single small unabtrusive icon simply called lighting... click the icon and a small window appears and a .exr file can be imported to light the paint and or paper... editing of the exr can be done in any photo editing software that can read the OpenEXR Plugin that is free (http://www.openexr.com/downloads.html) as all exposer, highlights, gamma, saturation etc. can be done in Photoshop or any application that can read 8BF Plugins... this would be the easiest option... anyway just an idea!

Gallery
    View images
    Also there is a smaller image of how actual HDRI lighting would look over the same tube paint image from Art Rage. It's not the best only because the image i used to test was exported from Art Rage with the existing bump and light imformation......

That's all... done with my Mad Scientist ideas!
    Attached Images Attached Images