Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Selbys imagination station

i know what you mean,

the head is perfect..you dont want to mess that up with something that doesnt fit,

but........maybe you could do a floaty head cartoon strip

Enchanter-hehehe that sounds fun.... ...or ill just crop the scene really close so it looks like your too close to them to see anything but the heads :twisted: hehe yep i like it v.busy the next fortnight but after that im giving your idea a bat

Selby, thanks for sharing. The sunrise/set I found very powerful. Entracing. Almost disturbing in a curious way. (a good thing)! You do good puddles!

I agree with the comic strip thread with your great little characters. They look like they want to say something. You should let them. If you allow them, they may take you, kicking and screaming, where they want you to go.

Thanks, sam

thanks Sam -
    I agree with the comic strip thread with your great little characters. They look like they want to say something. You should let them. If you allow them, they may take you, kicking and screaming, where they want you to go.
    think I will let em take me...just hope they let me get home by naptime :wink:

you said

The sunrise/set I found very powerful. Entracing. Almost disturbing in a curious way. (a good thing)
    what did you mean? cause its realish but not realish at once?

Selby

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'm talking gut reaction here, hard to pin down. And as you've said before, I think, different for each person. I just looked at it again and I guess it's the green in it that throws a wrench into my psychic gears. It's unnatural, in my experience of sunsets, and since I read it most definately as a sunset, it disturbs. Again in a good way. It's like a beautiful, appocolyptic sunset, or something. It's most definately a sunset I'd love to throw one of my dogs into in one of my drawings.

Thanks for calling me on this. It's good to try to figure out these feelings. I don't do it often, but I most definately, depend on them. Intuition. I just always go with it.

You know, for all the facility I see on this site, the incredible technique, there hasn't been that much that , well, bitch-slaps me, or head-butts, or shakes me up. Your sunset did. It's a good sunset.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely, sam

Selby, I had painting prof. (Ilya Bolotowsky) who encouraged his students to use colors in bold bright ways. The sunset would have made him smile!
    http://www.artnet.com/artist/2735/ilya-bolotowsky.html
    You'll know when you get there!

To Ingie-thanks I loved your Professors work -I bet it was an inspiring class to be in.would love to have had a painting teacher like that. In highschool we had v.traditional stodgy ones and in uni we didnt do much painting more illustraion with pencil etc

To Sam- thanks for taking the time to further consider for me Sam -it did help a lot : ) I like to know why people like what they like. as it can help me improve my art-if I want to appeal to people in a certain way its good to know what worked for folks so i can use techniques or colour in a similar way to evoke what i want people to feel.

I like that my art surprised you its fun to do unexpected stuff in art sometimes and turn peoples expectations upside down.

The green to me was lush green islands so the green didn’t shock me...... but your right its *never* ever that colour at sunset-that’s what I love about art I can have midday coloured islands at sunset if I want to, to get the feeling I want to convey...actually a lot of my stuff is like that its about how it felt it was, not how it really was : )

Selby

Selby,

Yeah, one thing I've learned thru all this (my so called career as an "Artist"), is that you can never predict what people will feel or think. Especially if you're into any thing, in any way, ambiguous. I've heard the most outrageous things and eventually you grow to expect it and rather relish it. In the end you do it for you, first. I lost sight of that fact a number of years ago and crashed and burned because of it.

Don't think about it too much... Go with your gut. I think it's the straighter path to your heart or soul. Think about it too, only later. If at all.

Thanks for your comments on my other stuff. I'm really glad you liked it. I just got a dig. Cam. and will soon now get more stuff into my computer, then into p-bucket.

(Isn't it great fun talking to folks 1/2 way around the world about stuff? I still can't get over it.)

sam

hello all- a tree 'puddle' for today
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Hey Selby,

I like your tree. I'm especially fond of green. Can't stress enuf the importance of green to the human psyche. Your colors work really well with that background. One little thiing to try, maybe, is just a hint of a shadow under it?
    Now I have a place I can come back to when I need a green fix.

Keep puddlin',
    sam