ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Which size, dpi and hardware you use normaly?

Which size, dpi and hardware you use normaly?

Hi!

I am wondering what is the best common pixel-size for a painting I want to print later on paper in bigger sizes than A4. Maybe A3 or A2.

300 dpi is the best choice though I read.

But which pixel-size is the best then. I like to do much tiny details in my pictures - could say I am addicted to details... I don't like it when zooming in to see just pixel-fragments.

I did some work with 500dpi, but that slows my pc down. Is it more important to choose the right size than a high dpi-value?

Next question is: I use a old-fashioned CRT-Monitor. Read and still think it's the best choice for doing graphics because their colors "look perfect from any viewing-angle" (sorry, bad english - you understand anyway?). I have the opportunity to get a LCD-Monitor cheap, but because of what I heard about the bad viewing-angle I thing I resist.

Thanks for any help!

se7en

no one with a tip or hint?

Hi there,

This thread here might be of some use to you, when considering the tradeoff between DPI and system resources at various sizes - http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...highlight=size

Regarding the monitor, I see what you're getting at. You may want to see if you can take a look at the monitor yourself and see how satisfactory the viewing angle is. These days I find LCDs are pretty good, a lot nicer than they used to be especially in terms of viewing angle. If you're happy with your current monitor though, there may not be a big advantage for you personally.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi se7en

In real life you have to choose canvas size before you start your painting. To some extend I think it's the same with ArtRage.

If you are painting for use on screen, I would recommend using a canvas double of your target destination. So if you paint towards a 800 x 600 pixels image, then choose 1600 x 1200 pixels in canvas size. This enables you to use small paintstrokes.

If you are painting for use on paper, I would recommend setting the canvas size correct in cm. And then select DPI of choice.

I don't go higher than 150 dpi for my inkjet. But do some simple tests of your hardware - same size picture, different DPI (se the other post).

Happy DoodLS

Just answered thec other post

Very good advice to do it in double size. At the moment I do everything for printing. Painting for fun. But I likt to print some of them bigger. So I will stop using more than 300 dpi from now on. Normaly I decide after painting what I want to use it for... maybe I should change my mind on that
    Tank you again!

Greets, se7en