ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: painting with mouse

painting with mouse

how many of you all are painting with your mouse or do you paint with a special tool made for the computer? for me i have to paint with the mouse.

Gallery
    View images
    Most here use a graphics tablet. You and I are in the minority being "mousers".

Gallery
    View images
    I'm a 'mouser' at the moment :lol:

Gallery
    View images
    Wacom Intuos 3 6x8 here.. Haven't used a mouse for any reason in almost 2 years.. Pen seems so much more natural to me.. However I do have one heck of a callus on the second knuckle of my little finger right hand.. No more pinky ring on that hand.. However, I guess it's all a mater of personal taste..
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Gallery
    View images
    I'm also a mouser, but I've had my eye on a Wacom tablet for quite some time now
    ~Expectations are pre-meditated resentments~

~If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them~

Gallery
    View images
    I have ordered a wacom intuos 3 from the US and I have on loan a wacom graphire 2. But I really struggle with the thin hard ball-pointy feel of its pen which causes my left hand to ache in clench mode :cry:

So I have to keep putting the pen down while I wait for my left claw to unfurl ops:
    and then I resume working with my right hand on the keyboard mouse.
    The thing about the mouse is that it can be guided along lightly without needing to clamp the fingers at all.

My main reason for wanting the Intuos3 tablet was for its range of pressure sensitivity....
    But I have to say I am a bit worried about the pen part as the dreaded arthritis has come to visit on my poor fingers whose joints don't appreciate having to clench-hold onto things anymore.
    Arraaaaagh :cry:

Gallery
    View images
    I use both. I had used the mouse exclusively until I purchased a Wacom Graphire 4 tablet. It is certainly possible to do well using the mouse. I find myself automatically grabbing the mouse when starting any drawing. The tablet does offer a lot more control. In any case, ArtRage can be enjoyed with either instrument.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowena
    My main reason for wanting the Intuos3 tablet was for its range of pressure sensitivity....
    But I have to say I am a bit worried about the pen part as the dreaded arthritis has come to visit on my poor fingers whose joints don't appreciate having to clench-hold onto things anymore.
    If it helps, the Intuos pen is a little more comfortable than the Graphire pen. It's got a big grip area and is slightly thicker. Even if it's not a perfect solution, I'm sure it'll be better than the Graphire.

Gallery
    View images
    [quote="Rowena"]I have ordered a wacom intuos 3 from the US and I have on loan a wacom graphire 2. But I really struggle with the thin hard ball-pointy feel of its pen which causes my left hand to ache in clench mode :cry: [quote]

It may be the way you are gripping the pen as well. Maybe try not gripping the pen so hard-adjust the pressure from the Wacom properties software.
    Also try using a different type of grip. Check out some painting books that show how to hold your brush.

For what it's worth, my hand used to cramp up when using a mouse, now my Intuos3 grip pen never gives me hand cramps or stiffness.

BTW-did you know that you can get different types of nibs for the pens?

The Intuos 3 has a felt nib and a spring loaded nib. It sounds like the spring loaded nib might be what you need. It has a hard nylon tip, but here is a small spring 3/4 of the way down the nib. Sort of like a spring on a ball point pen. So it is more forgiving than the standard hard nylon nib and more control over the pressure.

I still think that the problem has to do with how you are holding the pen. You aren't using a chisel here-light touch! light touch! ;-)

Wacom recommends their tablets for people with carpel tunnel syndrome and other injuries so I think it should help, not hinder any minor arthritis.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Gallery
    View images
    That's most encouraging news Nedroid, thanks

And I very much like the sound of the spring loaded tip Improv, the graphire 2 has a hard dead feel to the nylon tip and er...really isn't all that pressure sensitive even though I have made adjustments.
    Perhaps its kaput!

I also wrapped a piece of sponge rubber around it to give my fingers something soft to hold onto, but it nevertheless does require a firm grip to get any precision. Light touch doesn't work with this one...or dare I say maybe a light touch to some fingers feels like a death grip to my poor bingies because of the arthritis.

I look forward to the Intuos3...