ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A question to AndyRage..

Gallery
    View images

A question to AndyRage..

Hi Andy,

This topic is for you :lol:
    You know how much i care about ArtRage and i suppose to know how much energy you and ArtRage team, put in that challenge.

I was telling you that for me, we wouldn't need a lot of new tools except maybe :

- watercolor/wateracrylic brush
    - a blender brush
    - frisquet/mask
    - prospective solution
    - and ink brush :: that's why i joined to that topic, a picture showing the kind of strokes i would like to do with that new ink brush [ A - B - E - F - (the rest is airbrush (c), felt pen (d) and eraser (g)].

Can you tell me if you think we could in the future, find that kind of strokes, very smooth and specially with that ink brush...? If not, is it because of the technology, or copyright, or whatever ?

Like this, we would have all tools to work without any other paint programs.. That would be my dream..

Thank's for your reply.

Weeks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	exempl1_935.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	1101  

Gallery
    View images
    Another strokes examples...

:cry: I would like to do the same with ArtRage...Bouh ouh houuuu... :cry:

Weeks
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Gallery
    View images
    Some of that you can do with the Airbrush tool autoflow off, size down around 3%, on paper with 0% roughness.

If we exposed more parameters of the airbrush tool, you could do all of those strokes with it. But then, we'd have an airbrush tool with radials for tying pressure to size, for harshness of falloff on the edge, stroke bezier tightness, and so on. It wouldn't be an airbrush anymore.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    It's true, Andy, we're not so far, but i still have those kind of break in each stroke, specialy when i draw circle. It doesn't flow enough..
    Is there any reasons..?

For me, the idea was not to complicate the airbrush tool, but to create another one : for ex :ink pen/brush..

:wink:

Weeks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    Hiya AndyRage...

I just tried your airbrush suggestion, and I can't get a fully opaque line. None of the other tools work either.

Something that comes vaguely close is the paint-tube set to 1% thickness.

I'm also not getting "perfect" lines... it seems like they kink for some unknown reason, maybe due to processor load. Makes a Matisse-like line almost impossible to make.

Any thoughts on how I might explore solving this? (Sketchbook Pro 2 doesn't give me the same problem, so it must be something about the Art Rage algorithm, or the way it's handling memory, if I were the guessing kind.)

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    The bent line is caused by a system resources problem. I get it in Painter IX sometimes too. SBP is much less frequent with this problem though.

The ArtRage crew has said many times that AR2 has a less-than-desirable resource management, and they are working on it.

A suggestion might be to work with smaller file sizes, if you are working at high resolutions it will frequently cause this. I tried an 7.5x11 page at 300 DPI and the experience sent me crying back to Painter IX... which is only slightly better at handling those settings. (In truth, I hate Painter... but it freely rotates non-destructivly so I am tied to it for now.)

I also need a real ink tool... Something that simulates India Ink in a sable brush for comic or illustration lines. Shrinking the regular paintbrush and thinning it as much as possible was ok, but it still ran out of ink too soon. Glad I'm not the only one who'd like to see this new tool.

=)

Gallery
    View images
    Seriously... for comic illustrations, the line in Sketchbook Pro 2 is awesome. But I'm certain that the ArtRage folks are taking notice, and will do something about this in a newer release.

As for my resource handling... ugh.... I reckon it's time to upgrade my graphics card anyway, and while I'm about it, I might as well pump in another gig of ram. Hope my tablet has the capacity for it!!! (I need those things for Vista anyway.)

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    We're definitely taking notice!
    We do read and talk about every single suggestion that is posted in this forum.

A better inking tool is on the 'to do' list, as is making memory usage more efficient. Also re-working the stroke path generation is on there.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Andy! You guys totally COOK!!!

(Question is... do you also do the dishes?)

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    @ John the Artist...

I did some experimenting to try and find a way to get a decent line out of ArtRage, and it's completely possible.

Here are my settings on ArtRage 2.11:

PAPER:
    Plastic Dossier, with standard settings (namely 14% roughness, 50% scale, colour irrelevant)

PEN:
    Brush
    Pressure 20%
    Thinners 100%
    Loading 100%

It doesn't matter too much what width you draw in, it pretty much lasts forever. (Using a 5% brush, I got a great, controlled, consistent line that simply did not run out. Using a 30% line, it ran out after about 20 loop-de-loops, the equivalent of two metres of line.)

Here's an example of the kind of line I got. The breaks were intended, not forced by the software:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royblumenthal/200350619/

Blue skies
    love
    Roy

PS: ModeratorRage: I wonder if this should be cross-posted in the tips and tricks section?
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E