Thread: Good for Comic books?

Gallery
    View images

Good for Comic books?

A friend and I are budding comic book artists. Well I should say he is the artist I am the writer. Anyhow I was curious if people felt this program is good for that medium. The program looks great but I am afraid it may be too much for what we are doing. He generally likes to scan in a hand done pencil then using a program ink it. Would artrage be good for this process?

Too much in what way? I'm curious what you mean.

Actually ArtRage is great for comics. 'Tracing image' feature allows image to be displayed beneath drawing layers; it can be sized and positioned to fit, and transparency adjusted to show vivid or faint depending on preference. Also available is option to convert tracing image to paint on actual single layer for editing or transformation; but I think this is in paid version of the program only.

Also not available in free version, if I remember correctly, is adjustment of paper grain. This is good for comics art, since perfectly smooth line is desired, none of that slight roughness what comes from drawing on paper. You can vary from canvas to rough paper texture to something like animation cel which allows very smooth and crisp lines.

I do comics art and have found ArtRage superior to all other software I used. Cheaper also :D

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangeish
    Too much in what way? I'm curious what you mean.
    I was worried about price point vs actual usage. But as I look at it vs other programs I am really impressed. You seem to get more for a much more afordable cost.

Gallery
    View images
    You can probably do a lot of the drawing right inside AR.
    The only difficulty is in drawing the squares or rectangles for each page.
    Often these are quite different from one page to the other.

You can use stencils but they are not practical for this.
    You could simply import your layout in AR and export when you are satisfied with the result.

I imagine other users will have good ideas for this specific need.
    AB
    kiva.org
    How you can help people living in developing countries

Gallery
    View images
    ...As to price. I would say you would have a hard time finding anything that has the capabilities of ArtRage for a mere $25.00 USD. Well... unless you find a sale on paper, pencils, paint, ink, etc. Seriously try the free version and ask questions about the full version if you're on a very tight budget. My experience is that you have encountered a jack-pot of powerful tools in a very friendly package for creativity.

I also think that stencils and rulers are spot on for creating framing and other more draftsman like features. It won't be as quick as dragging out shapes in Photoshop but it can be done. After all, rulers and templates on a real table have only been replaced in recent history anyway.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Fashmir,

I think that using stencils and rulers is really unpractical for comic books.
    Also quite long.
    Every page is different and the shapes need to be really clean.
    In this case a simple line and/ or shape tool would be great.
    It has allready been mentioned in the wish list.

For now, I would do all the layout in Freehand or illustrator or Photoshop.
    Inkscape is also very good...and free. I use it most of the time.

I would then import the layout into AR and do the content on different layers.

My two cents...
    AB
    kiva.org

Gallery
    View images
    alain boisvert- I appreciate your view on this. I completely agree that window blocking is much easier in a program with a shape or other vector tool. My point is based on spriggangt's comment about price. I'm thinking he/she can't afford Photoshop and wished to point out that the work can be done in ArtRage if that is all you can afford. I forgot all about Inkscape. Good call.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    I completely agree, Fashmir, that if you can afford only one software then
    ArtRage is the best choice for the price.

Here is the link to Inkscape: http://www.inkscape.org/

They are two completely different software and, I believe, AR is much better for drawing with many comic book styles.
    AB
    kiva.org