Thread: problem with 'black'

Gallery
    View images

problem with 'black'

I was working on a painting and noticed that for some reason my "black" was washed out. Even setting it to 0,0,0 didn't fix it. I went ahead and exported the image and the export has the black restored to black!

edit: The frog's toes are black

I went back and tried everything, shutoff all but the image layers but nothing seemed to work. Restarting a new picture with the exported layer did work. Is this just some quirk?

Paul

[/img]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	artrage_screen1_860.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	10045  

No signature required.

Gallery
    View images
    I've seen this happen in a couple of ways. One is the layer is semi-transparent but I would assume you would already know about that. Another is that a tracing image is active and that will wash out color in a similar way. Color value can shift a bit because of the lighting that is part of the ArtRage work environment but not as pronounced as what you are showing. Other than that I don't know what you'd be looking at.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    If neither of Fashmir's suggestions match what you're seeing there ( those are both good points ), you can send the document together with a description of how you're exporting and what you're expecting / getting to support@artrage.com and I can check it out for you here and let you know what's going on as well.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the information. I'm 99% sure the opacity was set to 100% for the layer. Last night I tried recreating the picture from scratch and I ended up with nice black toes on the frog. But come to think of it I didn't have the trace image (of the page divided into thirds). That is probably it then. I'll let you know after some more testing tonight.
    I really love this progam, btw. Excellent work there ArtRage team! It's a jewel among pebbles.

off topic: Is www(dot)fashmir(dot)com working? I have trouble getting in and d/ling the canvas "canvas". Is there another source?

Paul
    No signature required.

Gallery
    View images
    The domain is there and working but there is no structured site. I have been using it as a dumping ground for resources I want to share that don't seem to fit any place else. Eventually there will be a full on "Fashmir" site up. For now you can get to the canvas here.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you for the link Fashmir. I look forward to the reincarnation of what must be a pretty spectacular site.

Just popped in to tell you and Dave that the culprit in the case of the muddy black was indeed the tracing. Even if the tracing picture is saved from a 'cel' it will have some amount of opacity. I think comes in at about 25% opaque. I was even able to track down the trace opacity's adjustment. Okay, it make sense now that 'tracing paper' isn't clear.

I will have to remember to import grids and such that I want to be clear into a new layer not a tracing.

Thanks for the lesson!
    Paul
    No signature required.