ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Precise pencil forces grain

Precise pencil forces grain

Hey guys, I was using the precise pencil just now on a layer I had set to zero roughness so I could get the smoothest line possible. Well I decided to use a ruler to get the straightest line possible as well. To my surprise any mark I made with the pencil displayed grain, as soon as I left the ruler it went back to smooth. It seems like grain is somehow tied to the ruler system?
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Hi Fashmir. That's an interesting one! I've tried a few different combos here to see if I can get the same sort of behavior. Just to make sure I understand what you're getting there, would it be possible to send me a painting file which exhibits this behavior ( ideally with a stroke which shows the grain. If you were using the standard ruler, no need to worry about specifically including that ruler ) and your artrage.prs file so I can duplicate your pencil setting dials?

Here's what I tried:

1/ Started up ArtRage from default settings
    2/ New painting -> Paper roughness set to 0%
    3/ Select the pencil, default settings, switch to precise mode. Draw some strokes at varying tool thicknesses
    4/ Use the ruler in ruler mode ( also tried guide mode ) from the stencils panel and draw some lines along the edges.

I suspect that I may not be using the same pencil settings or missing something in order to duplicate this ( layer opacity settings, layer number, that sort of thing ), but if you can email me the files above to support@ambientdesign.com I'll check it out here for you and see what I can discover!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I can send that if need be. Once again it's a huge file with a lot of layers. I have something to have you try first if you don't mind.

Make a new file. Plop down a ruler. Set pencil to precise. Now with your window zoom at 100% draw a stroke against the ruler. Nice and smooth right? Now increment to 200% zoom and draw a stroke against the ruler. Kind of grainy right? Mostly toward the beginning of your stroke? You can see it even more if you switch to guide mode and your grain is really rough and toothy.
    Be well,

I confirm what Fashmir has found.

Also compare the difference between a slow stroke and a fast stroke.

I think it must have something to do with the edge tracking as opposed to the grain.
    Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 for Music | Blender for 3D

Thanks Charlie.

DaveRage? Did you get lost in transmission?
    Be well,

Hi Fashmir. Looks like that came in after I was off for the weekend on Friday. I'll try again now and see what I can find
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Alright. Not having much luck here I'm afraid on my test machine! Perhaps you could give me a screenshot of the problem, together with your pencil settings and which stencil you're using, ( I'm assuming the ruler ) and I'll see what else we can glean from that
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design