ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: How much memory is neccessary for a large painting?

Gallery
    View images

How much memory is neccessary for a large painting?

I am planning to paint a picture in the size of 200cm * 100cm (2 Meters by 1 Meter). This painting then should be printed out on canvas on a wide format plotter (inkjet) using 300ppi. When I tried to define the size and the resolution of the canvas Artrage told me my PC doesn't have enough money. Instead of putting (an unknown amount of) memory in my PC (Windows) I want to know how much memory would be neccessary for that size of picture. I completely understand that this cannot be answered with scientific precision but can somebody from Ambient give me a rough idea?

Thanks for your answer.

Gallery
    View images
    That would be a painting approximately 200 x 300 / 2.54 pixels wide by 100 x 300 / 2.54 pixels tall.
    23,600 x 11,800 approx.
    At best case, assuming you dont use any stencils or rulers, and have only one layer (I'll assume the layer is going to be entirely filled with paint) you'd need around 10GB of RAM. ArtRage is a 32 bit application, and can't support more than 4GB at best case, so you'd have to break your painting into 3 pieces to do.

You should question why you want 300 DPI on a painting 2 metres long. 300DPI is generally used for printed matter that is expected to be read from a distance of 300mm or so. Eg. magazines, printed A4 stuff you can hold in your hand.
    Someone viewing a 2 metre canvas is going to be standing much further away and isn't going to resolve detail at 300DPI anyway. So you probably only want 75 DPI.
    In that case you're looking at around 500MB or so.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you for your advice, Dave. I read that post before. It helped a bit.

My problem is that I want do work in smaller sizes nd afterwards blow it up to bigger prints. But you have a point saying that such a picture is normaly looked at from farer viewpoint. When I work in bigger size - let's say in 100cmx100cm by 150dpi and downsize that to 30cm x 30cm. Is it possible to set the dpi higher to 300dpi to keep more detail in that smaller format then?

ooopss.... wrong subject answered... maybe its good here too? Or someone could move it to my original subject? ops:

Gallery
    View images
    Have you actually tried printing at 300 PPI? Try it out!

Do several small simple drawings size 10 cm x 5 cm. Same motif. Do it fixed in size and the try out the different DPI. Then print them (all at size 10 cm x 5 cm) on an inkjet (or if possible the target plotter).

With the tests I have run, I notice very little difference when I go higher than 150 dpi. I actually think the artwork is degraded somewhat. When using wet paint it is as if the strokes are not as visible anymore.

Also consult the print co. I was under the impression that the standard for large size prints were 75 dpi.

Happy DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    Have to try that bacl at home. Currently I am painting in my vacation. Thank you for that idea!