Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Version 2.5 for UMPC?

Gallery
    View images

Version 2.5 for UMPC?

How far off is the 2.5 version of ArtRage UMPC? I think I'm gonna try that on my new tablet PC when it arrives in a couple of weeks.
    I suppose I can just temporarily swap it out with the full version on my desktop PC if I miss the new features too much.

BTW, are there any plans to merge the 2 versions into one at some point?

Thanks,
    Michael

Gallery
    View images
    We're still working on the UMPC version or ArtRage 2.5 . It should be within a couple of weeks.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I'd definitely recommend the standard version of ArtRage for a TabletPC rather than the UMPC version. The UMPC version's interface is designed more with the UMPC screen resolution in mind rather than desktop and TabletPCs and as such, features are not as readily accessible when not using a UMPC. Just thought I should mention that.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    It's a small sized tabletPC (HP2710p) with a 12 inch screen. I was thinking I would probably be working with the UI panels closed more often than I do on my large screened desktop PC.
    I thought the main difference in the versions was the bigger open/close buttons for the panels so that they're easier to target.

Gallery
    View images
    The main difference is indeed in the trigger buttons for the panels, the UMPC version is designed to operate with the panels closed and has slightly easier access to opening them. However, the UMPC does not take advantage of the 'hover' model the tablet does (whereby the app knows when the stylus is hovering over a button but not clicking it) due to the limitations of the hardware, and that means certain controls are forced to be there in the UMPC version while the normal version hides them until needed.

If you want easy access to controls without them taking over the screen, the Full Version's UI can be completely hidden just by pressing the Enter key. The Tablet PC spec requires that there is a physical Enter button on the frame, so you can have all your panels open and just use that to show/hide things (similarly, a right click shows/hides all the panels). That way you don't need to manage opening and closing the different panels as you need them, I find it much faster than the UMPC version's model (although the UMPC has that too).

In general the UMPC version is updated after the Full version. UMPC 2.5 is nearly ready for release for example.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Gallery
    View images

Thank you for UMPC 2.5!

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that 2.5 UMPC was released last night, and now I can enjoy the benefits of the new full version. Thank you, Art Rage Team.

Gallery
    View images

2.5 UMPC version with my 10 inch ultra mobile?

I will soon have my new used ultra portable Fujitsu B2630. I see that it has the required resources. The RAM is 256 MBs and the processor is 900MHz and it has what is called a touch screen. I hope the touch screen is pressure sensitive or I suppose it would not work. Is there anyone here who may know of this PC and weather or not it will work with UMPC 2.5? Thanks in advance.
    Greg (Mister B) Biggs :?

Gallery
    View images

Fujitsu Touchscreens

Most small display touch screens are passive displays, meaning they are not pressure sensitive. The Fujitsu P1610 that I own is passive. so chances are that yours will also be similar.

Although it is very nice to have pressure sensitivity, especially if you are a brushwork style artist, it wasn't an issue with me as I work mostly with mechanical pencils and other pressure-insensitive media.

The nice thing about passive displays is it does not require a special stylus and even the edge of a fingernail will work.

I went with the UMPC version, myself. Other than the fact that versions lag behind the main version, there's really no drawbacks I can see for it - especially since UMPC is at 2.5 now.

Gallery
    View images

Thanks

I seriously do appreciate your reply. This is helpful. I am almost certainly going to order ther UMPC version regardless as I think for the price, you just can not go wrong. Artrage does make a quality software . I used it a few years back with my Toshiba and it was impressive then. Thank you again.
    Greg B

Gallery
    View images
    If the tablet supports pressure sensitivity, does the UMPC version of ArtRage recognize it?