Thread: Alien Planet (rocky landscape)

Alien Planet (rocky landscape)

Hey, this is my current WIP and I'm having trouble creating a rocky landscape and was wondering if anyone has any tips for this... I also attached the image I was using as a reference for this piece but I'm not trying to duplicate the surface (or the whole picture actually) but just use it as a base idea...

I was drawing in a rough sketch and then adding in squiggly lines from dark to light, then i blended them using the knife, but I still couldn't get a rocky surface i was satisfied with so i'm open to ideas...

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Gallery
    View images
    Maybe the glitter tool? The moon is REALLY cool!

thanks! i never thought of that lol... i'm gonna give that a shot

Gallery
    View images
    It looks cool already.
    Maybe you could get some ideas from the reference in regard to the contrast of darks and lights. Looks light in the foreground and then dark around the bases of the mountains and in the shadows under features. Also there could be many variations in looking at the reference. I am not a big fan of the glitter tool as you can tell.

thanks, i wasn't having much luck with the glitter tool so for now i'm going to just try and add in lights and shadows in reference to the reference lol...

i worked on it a bit more, i used chalk to shade in some and then i sketched some outlines i want to use to remind me of the depth of the foreground... Still didn't work on the back because i have some ideas i want to use but i need to go look up some pictures for that hehe... but if anyone has anymore tips on how to shade in or do ground or rocky landscapes i'm open, because i've been spending a really long time working on this ground lol
    Attached Images Attached Images