Thread: Cloud help

Gallery
    View images

Cloud help

Just getting started in painting, and am trying to do something a bit different each time in order to learn.
    In this case, I wanted to try and do a reflection of a cloud in the water. A bit unsure as to if I should have made it bigger, more color, etc..

I'd be interested in any suggestions as to what I should have done, or how I could do it better.

Thank you.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    You know, now that I posted the picture,
    and took another look at it, I wonder if maybe it would have been better, if I had made it a night time picture of the moon and it's reflection.

Gallery
    View images
    Certainly the moon would reflect better. Clouds are usually not reflected in any detail -- mostly tonal, as I recall. But if it were, the surface of the water would be sharply reflective like a mirror, where the reflection would be in vertical alignment with itself (straight beneath).

Reflections are tricky. And it is often a place for vast artistic license. How sharp the reflections are usually are the result of the artist being after a certain quality that one look or other brings to the pic. A lot of people just fake it as a vertical blur of what's in view right behind the water and scuff the surface laterally in spots to give it a ripply feel.

It's not one definitive answer. But it will be fun to play around with effects. Look at how other people do it for some ideas.

Gallery
    View images
    Clouds and reflections are free spirits. There's not much definative that can be said about them beyond that they exist. Look to nature or images to see them in all of their infinite variations. "...and keep on thinking free."

Gallery
    View images
    Well, I followed my instincts and made some adjustments, and turned it into a
    full moon night, with just a hint of a reflection in the water below.
    I couldn't really get the moon shaped the way I wanted it, but overall I like the feeling of this one more than the one I started with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moon_reflection_516.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	9818  

Gallery
    View images
    Yeah, looks nice. Stylized and all, it reads like what you intended. Very pleasing with a bit of a decorative feel. And pleasant colors too.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks. Now with that lil bit of success, I'm ready to try something else new.
    I'm finding that I'm starting to lose my fear of "mistakes", finding that sometimes, they lead to good things.

Gallery
    View images
    already improving eh?
    amazing isn't it?
    Agree with your assessment...
    loosening up and making lots of accidents lead to style.
    A look at impressionist stuff and fauves stuff proves the point well.
    Loose brush strokes and radical color use is what paid off for them.
    Is the sky blue? Or is it really many hues?
    Keep up the experiments...
    paint like a wild animal.