Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: 'Raging' against the machine - Nick's Sketchbook - October 21st 2008

Fantastic! can't wait to see more progress!

Incredibly interesting and instructive! We're actually like evil's puppets when moved by our uncontrolled instincts and vices.
    Did You use some support or software to draw the perspective squared floor so precisely (and fast I presume)?.
    Go on SuperNick!!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Thanks fellars.

Caesar - yes I'm afraid I had to take a checkerboard pattern made in a serif software called DrawPlus (their version of Adobe Illustrator but much cheaper and for an idiot like me - more user friendly) into Photoshop and distort it on a separate layer before saving it as a jpeg and making it a stencil back in ArtRage again. It was a bit seat of the pants, because I couldn't be bothered to take time matching the perspective properly to the figures.

Lazily, I just did it by guesswork and looking at both alternately - first the image, then the checkered floor in Photoshop, then back to ArtRage again. It isn't quite right but it'll do. Should really have imported a flattened version of the image to another layer in Photoshop but it was really late and I was tired.

I then painted through it and a large radial gradient as well. Not forgetting that you can invert each stencil to colour the bits you don't paint first pass. Oooh I do like ArtRage stencils.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

OK, I admit to getting distracted from finishing that last one. I will one day - honest.
    Thing is, the Alpha of AR version3 became available, and I'm honoured to have sneaked in through the back door onto the testing group. I can't reveal any of the wondrous enhancements being honed for our creative pleasures without the team's approval. It's up to them to reveal tasters of their great work as and when they deem it ready for the public domain. There is no reason I can't drop images in here that I've been playing with in it to test its limits and performance though.

Gosh there's some good software headed your way . . . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watercolour-play-001d.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	21523   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Which-Witch-wip6.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	21524  
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5

WOW! I still keep Your wonderful tutorial as a synoptic bible and it seems we would need an add-on to get these texture marvels out of AR 3, dear Nick!
    As for the perspective floor all my respect anyway! The procedure You devised is in itself a sign of the particularly smart and skilled guy we all admire in here!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Hi Caesar.
    Thanks for the nice response.

The textural stuff is nothing you can't do in AR2.5 already. A combination of stencils, paper textures and playing with the metallic slider while using the chalk.
    The crackle was made using one of MisterPaint's wonderful contributions, for which I am very grateful. The other stuff is just photos of trees and grot (dirt, rock, whatever) turned into stencils.
    Nick Harris Artwork

Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5

Dear Nick, thanks so much for the hint of the new ArtRage! both of your new painting are so very good, love the creature floating to the top of the green mist!

Great work Nicholas.

I really love that elf one. Perfect in every way.

The old crone and the enchantress hottie are wonderful as well. Great characters and environments.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I always enjoy your work! Just finished looking at the last two pages: wow, simply wonderful!
    The only problem with humor is that no one takes it seriously.

You are back, Nick. Where's the final version of the magic studio? Love the new ones especially the green elf one very much. Looks like watercolour to me. Also love how you did the dress on that old woman with pattern and the blended different color on it. So magical your works. Make me dreaming in your illustrations.