Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Raging' against the machine - Nick's Sketchbook - October 21st 2008

This is what got me into ArtRage

I got really lucky and was given the chance to write a workshop for last month's ImagineFX magazine, based on me being a children's book illustrator. I had to come up with an image and describe how I made it. I made up a background story about two deities squabbling.

I did all the initial sketching in ArtRage. A god and a goddess looking a bit peeved with each other. I exported the files into Painter as PSDs for the donkey work, because that's a software I'm more familiar with, but the sketching experience made me want to use AR more. I've attached a few sketches and stages. It includes a false start, where although the sketches are OK (ish) the image just wasn't working, so I had to redraw.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

wow a professionial

i get that magazine too !!!

i didn't have time to look at it ( sept ) issue ( the one you are in )

i just got oct's and did read your interview

now that you told us about your workshop, i spend 5 mins digging out sept issue.

i look forward to it

really nice work

looking forward to seeing more

Steve

That is just too funny and the poses are really expressive.

Nice, nice, nice.

I'm really not into comics either. But I have a passing acquaintance with the styles. And some styles really stand out when fanning comic books and graphic novels in a store.

I agree with you that the mind blowing part is the volume of work the good artists can pump out. There was a rash of them for a while where the artistry was missing IMHO.

The really crude looks are analogous to music popularity based on anyone, no matter their competency, being able to do it.

Anyway, your drawings are perfect as far as I'm concerned. Great acting. I almost would hate to see it taken farther to finish, just because the drawings are so great in their sketchy state. Very skilled.

And woosie (sp?) and its variants has been a pretty common term in the US at least for 40 years. Probably sounds different when spoken with accents and spun differently.

If it's not already so, it's probably poised for inclusion the Miriam-Webster dictionary.

i like your work alot...sketches are nice
    ADHD...SSDD

Thanks for the feedback chaps - always appreciated. A pro -yes, but still trying to learn just like everybody else. If you aren't moving forward when everyone else around you is, then you're effectively moving backwards - ho-hum.

Here's a quick sketch for a character from a much larger piece for a challenge over at CGSociety, that I hope to get finished in time to enter. Loads to do on it though. Aaaaaargh.
    Robbie's First Catch
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

All these are fantastic pieces..........
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Amazing stuffs. Very professional works here.

all beautifull..and i agree with D Akey i love them so much as sketches that i cant believe 'finnishing 'would make them any better. Roberts fist catch is very charming will love to see how it progresses

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

That is a very cool illustration. Reminds me of The Danger Guys series of children's book covers. Well drawn... splendid work.

Stunning gallery