Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling through Etsy

Gallery
    View images

Selling through Etsy

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to write a summation of my experience selling my works on Etsy.com and how I go about getting images printed etc.

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks Robert.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 03-19-2009 at 09:32 PM.

Gallery
    View images
    You're the maestro on this one. Please do.

Gallery
    View images
    Ok then. It's very simple and inexpensive to set up an Etsy.com shop. You create a username and password, supply an email address and provide them with a valid credit card number. The last is just for purposes of fraud prevention. You can pay your bill in a number of ways.

Your username becomes your shop name. For example mine is http://robertwade.etsy.com.

You choose, as part of the shop setup, what kind of payments you'll accept. PayPal is, of course, the preferred method. You also set up your shipping prices.

Once your shop is set up, it is very customizable, editable, and can even include sub-shops for different types of items.

Now you're ready to list your items for sale. (I should mention that Etsy is only for selling handmade items.) It's a simple 5 step process to list an item and the learning curve is very gentle. Parts of that process include pricing, categorizing, and describing your item. For each item, you can upload as many as five images to accompany it.

Now you're asking, "What does it cost?" Well, shop creation and set-up are free. Listing an item costs 20 cents times the number of that item that you want to list. If an item sells and you have more of it to sell, relisting it is fast and easy for an additional 20 cents. When an item sells, Etsy takes a 3.5% commission. I had my shop up and running in about 2 hours with 15 or so images, some of which I stocked 5 times, for less than $10. Three days later, I made my first sale and recouped that plus a small profit on the sale of one 8x12 print. At this point I need to mention that all transactions are in US dollars but Etsy is not limited to the US ... you can sell from anywhere in the world.

I was asked elsewhere in the forum about how I handle the printing and rights to maintain ownership, and about the ability to sell items more than once. The images I upload to Etsy have a stenciled signature with the year and the copyright thingie. I make it clear that I am selling prints of original works and make no promise as to retiring an image after it has sold. When an image sells, I simply restock it.

I offer my prints on semi-matte photo paper but also note that giclee or canvas prints are available if they want to pay the additional price that that would entail. That would be a negotiated price and the buyer would have to contact me via Etsy to arrange that. I use www.posterxxl.com, available for shipping only to the US. They have a wide range of sizes available and have proven to me that their quality is very good. For giclees, I use www.pixeloutpost.com. Not sure if they do international shipping.

I price my prints by adding the printing cost and the shipping cost and double that. For example: posterxxl will do a 12x18 print for $6.99 and the shipping on anything from them is always $7.99 ... single item or multiple. So that's $15 my cost and I sell that print for $30. (PixelOutpost will do a giclee for $31 up to 16x20, $37 up to 20x24 and higher for larger of course.)

My rule of thumb for determining how large I should offer for image size is to create the image at 100 pixels for each inch. So my 8x12 prints are created at 800x1200 pixels.

Well, that's the broad overview of how Etsy works and how I work Etsy. Any questions?

Bob

Gallery
    View images
    Okay, I tried that link... all I get is music.

Gallery
    View images
    That's my Pandora radio stations. www.etsy.com

Gallery
    View images
    we must have cross posted... ha ha. Thanks Robert that was really clear and thorough.

Gallery
    View images
    You're very welcome my friend.

Gallery
    View images
    One question.... How true does the color stay when printing from an rgb image?

Gallery
    View images
    Of course, it won't look EXACTLY as it looks on a monitor ... but the differences are minute. The semi-matte prints are very, very good. The giclee prints I've had done are breathtaking.