ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desert Scene - New version

Desert Scene - New version

Attached Images Attached Images  

some refinements ...

full size
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aug_27c_175.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	9569  

Really nicely painted. Darn near perfect.

Two comments:

1) in the distant hills just left of center you have the color mixed with the yellow which gives it a bit of a green cast that doesn't fit -- only in that one spot though. You may want to sample your hill colors from any of the other hills at that distance and just touch it up a little.

2) It's a great background for a NASA moon rover or something. It lacks a subject.

I love the foreground rocks and the color accent you put in -- as if picking up some blue light -- artificial or natural, but something luminous nearby. . . and thus I feel like the camera needs to be turned to face the object of interest that we aren't seeing. All the action seems to be off camera. Risky at best.

But this really is very well painted. Good technical work.

I'm very impressed with your technical leap forward, Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by D Akey

. . and thus I feel like the camera needs to be turned to face the object of interest that we aren't seeing. All the action seems to be off camera. Risky at best.
    But DAkey if he shows ya the space ship he'll have ta kill ya :wink:

Hi Bob.. I like the intensity of sky colour you have going there
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Heh heh. Thanks DA. Thanks Selby. I'm working on a bird.

more refinements

should have put this in WIP ops:

Good stuff Robert !! Great color..
    Click Upper Right To Visit My Gallery

Hi Robert,

What I am about to say is purely an aesthetic preference, Many people would prefer the way you have gone with this.

I liked it better with less rock texture overall. Such an even handling makes it feel like snake skin or something patterny. It may be your intention. But I liked the earlier version where you had less info in the mid and distant ground and it was more atmospheric as a result. My preference is all. I would have picked a few spots to include like a few rocks.

And the fact that you have the blue working so far into the distance has the effect of both shortening the distance and it loses the effect of being an accent that says REDS and Oranges that really get emphasized by the accent's opposition.

I love the bird. And the tree is cool but it in particular shortens the depth of field because of the size. The earlier versions came across as vast to me like for miles and miles. This last one seems like I could easily drive a golf ball over the rise. To keep distance, the bird would still work, but the tree wouldn't.

Just pointing this stuff out as to what might be causing my preference.

No matter though. It's still smashing. Really remarkable work. And many would prefer it this way.