Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Pen for Annotation and Mark-up.

Gallery
    View images

Using Pen for Annotation and Mark-up.

Do any of you know of a cheap or free program which will let me add handwritten notes and signatures to Word etc?

I can get Justwrite but free would be better!
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    Yo A.P., funny you should mention.... I saw that same software at the Wacom site and would have sprung for the $ but it was Windows only and I have a Mac. Wouldn't you know. So I started looking, and looking, and I googled till I was cross-eyed, and I even checked the Linux sites, and all to no avail.

So I'm thinking we should sic Andy and the boys on it! (As if they don't have enuf on their plates). But like a simple sketch book, simple tools, that one could drag around the www, or just open and well, sketch, then open in the ARage window to work out of? I suppose drag & drop would be nice too, but... It would keep stuff together in itself, like a well, a sketchbook too.

Anyway, if you stumble on something, there's one other person out here interested. If I do I'll post it for you but I really looked hard so...

I really enjoy your work, and posts.

Gallery
    View images
    It's odd that there aren't good pen annotation programs for OSX. As I was strolling through the API for tablet support, I noticed there is quite an advanced feature-set for ink capture and recognition.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hey Andy, I'm pretty incompetant on my Mac and with terms so I'm not too sure of what you just told me. There's allot out there for taking notes and allot being developed at the Linux sites, but none, that I could find for a tablet situation. And that'd be so cool... Do you see something I don't?

Gallery
    View images
    I dont know what applications are available for OSX for ink and gesture capture. But in the API - the Applications Programmers Interface (that dark twisted place of documentation that computer programmers go to find out the obscure function calls to put into the source code to make use of features of a computer platform) there are many functions that seem quite competent for dealing with ink and gestures.
    What I'm saying is that it seems it would be relatively easy for a good Mac programmer to wrap an application around those function calls to make a decent program for gestures and ink capture.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I don't actually have a Mac now , it's a WinXp. I had thought from my experience with a Mac, that by now it would have just been part of the built in software. My, very old, one was at the time years ahead in graphics stuff. It was what made it a Mac.

I'm amazed that I wasn't snowed under with names of suitable progs, it really is a hole in the market

The Justwrite program from Wacom doesn't support "pressure", no big deal, but it would have been nice for a signature. Reviews I have seen of this prog would not have made me rush out and buy it. But it looks like the only answer.
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

Gallery
    View images
    The only place in OS X I've been able to find is in Appleworks 6 and that's a different kind of vector line (or something) an very unsatisfactory, as far as I'm concerned. All these hinky, jagged little dots and lines. That's why I was so happy to find InkScape at the same time I found ArtRage. There is somewhere a place or way to make a signature for email and such, but i've never been interested enuf to do that. There are these little post-it things called Stickies that I use, and the World Book Encyclopedia, which came bundled with my Mac has a "notebook" thigy, that I also use, that's nice, but neither of them work with my wonderful new Wacom. Any way, thanks for the feedback.

Gallery
    View images

Yeah, that's why I got a Mac

Yeah, that's why I got a Mac. 1 1/2 yrs ago I'd never even touched a computer but all my artist and musician friends in Chicago all had Macs so.... Now here I am, crusing the Linux sites, which has been a very revealing experiense in itself. My interest is piqued, to say the least.

Gallery
    View images
    AgedP, if you have Microsoft Office and Windows XP, you have handwriting recognition. Microsoft has a knowledgebase article that details its installation. I followed it and got it working in a few minutes. It's not practical for extended text input, but for little things, it's really handy to be able to write anywhere on the screen. It lets me occasionally sit back, away from the computer in a more comfortable chair, and use just my little tablet to get around.

Hope it helps!

- Gita

Gallery
    View images

Note Software

Thanks to Gita's note to Aged P., which piqued my Mac curiosity, and David Pogue, god bless him, and Andy, I found a little Handwriting Recognition/sketching prog in OS X that works. It's OK, not great but better than nada. It's called Ink, and doesn't show itself till you download the Wacon driver and plug in, then comes up in System Prefrences, a place I never go unless I have to. It's barely adequate as a drawing tool and I still think an Artists Sketchbook would be neat to have (another hint to ARage guys). Thanks all of you for needed hints to help me find it. sam