ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ginem_ginem's Tips Tricks & Tutorial Type Thingey

Gallery
    View images

ginem_ginem's Tips Tricks & Tutorial Type Thingey

Here you can see my progress step-by-step, with short descriptions of my methods...
    God hates me 'cause I'm an atheist...
    Ex nihilo nihil fit - Therefore, I must be a nihilist.

Gallery
    View images

Here's number one:

So here's the sketch based on a reference image of Cedar Walton, pianist...

Here I wont try and depict the likeness of Cedar, but instead use the image just as a color palette, and a reference for anatomy and shading...

Sooo, here it goes:

STEP 1)

Two layers, working on the second transparent one....

I used the pencil tool with 50 % pressure in a dark brown color, just do get the basic sketch. I never use tracing images, and I strongly advise that you don't to, because photography doesn't depict space and geometry the same as the human eye, and It's more challenging and fun....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    STEP 2)
    I use the oil-paint tool 50 % pressure, no thinners, 17 % loading...
    Just dab around in strategic places, just to get the overall color scheme right, it can be hard at first, figuring out where to dab and how much, but I think you'll get accustomed fairly fast.....
    I often use, when I haven't got much time on my hands, the eyedropper tool to pick colors from the reference image (shortcut - alt+click)...

Gallery
    View images
    STEP 3)
    Pallete knife - 30% pressure
    Now I use a combination of random short strokes just to blend up colors and long strokes that follow the form, to give the image a sense of depth. I still add some colors via the oil-paint tool, if I feel that I lost color information...

Gallery
    View images
    step 4)
    I use a smaller diameter palette knife and brush...
    Now, with the smaller diameter brush and palette-knife i add more detail (this is the first time I actually zoom in, I try not to do it earlier not to loose the proportions of the picture)....
    I use the, what I call, cross-blending technique to get the sense of aging skin..
    I also add colors from the suit to the face and vice-versa, because both the face and the suit have reflective qualities that don't actually show on photos (that's one of the reasons why paintings sometime look truer to life then photographs), you'll see great improvements , when you start doing this....
    You can also notice that the painting, in this stage differs from the sketch, that's because each step I try more and more to depict the reference image, the sketch is there just to set up the overall composition of the future work....

Gallery
    View images
    step 5)

Here I again decrease the oil-paint and palette-knife tools, for more details...
    ..and set the palette knife to 10% pressure, for more non-aggressive tweaking of the image...
    As you can see I added the glasses, and more detail, I'm slowly building up the details, adding the subtle shading, a few more steps and it's finished...
    ...Guess there are no actual tips and tricks in this step, but I think you can figure out what I did if you compare this image to the last one...
    ...There's just a few more steps to go.. bare with me....

Gallery
    View images
    And the last step...

STEP 6)

I used a non loaded brush with a bit of thinners for the shine effect on the glasses.
    For the backgr I used Bumble's technique for painting skies http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...pic.php?t=6698, I don't know if you can see it, but it's a mix of black and dark crimson.
    Then i flattened out the two layers, and did a little blending around the edges with the palette-knife...
    And I added a few dabs of green around the face and mixed them up with the palette-knife, just to make the overall painting more interesting....

It could do with another step of fine tuning, or even two more, but I mosten often just stop here, because the next steps aren't that fun, I do them only when I feel real anal....

Gallery
    View images
    footnote:

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask, I am glad to help...
    And please comment if this tutorial helped you in any way, and if not, tell me how could I make future tutorials better...

And please do know, like all humans, I am fulled by praise

Gallery
    View images
    Very nice tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

Gallery
    View images
    Fabulous tutorial ginem_ginem!

Thank you, you have inspired me, and tomorrow I shall begin my first ArtRage portrait following these guide lines...

Till then,
    Cheers, Rowena.