Thread: It's a real drag! Brushes trail behin cursor.

Gallery
    View images

It's a real drag! Brushes trail behin cursor.

Sadly I'm having alot of trouble with Artrage 2.5 when it comes to performance, mainly "drag". The brushes drag slowly behind the cursor.
    At first I only thought it was when I worked at 300dpi ( and unfortunately I'd like all my paintings at 300dpi so I can print them out at high quality and frame them ).
    But I recently realised that even at 100dpi , brushes like eg. the airbrush drags slowly behind the cursor. :shock:
    I am running a Pentium4 ' 2.8ghz, a good graphics card , intous3 tablet , Windows XP SP2 , and 1.5 gigs of ram.
    I have no problem with any other graphic programs I am using ( such as Photoshop CS2 ) running 300dpi.
    I have tried a number of different setting , eg. switching off "precise cursor" , etc , but with no improvement.

Is there any way to improve or totally solve this problem.
    Please help me Artrage.

Gallery
    View images
    If you're using the pencil tool with the 'precise pencil' option, and if you're using the airbrush tool, do you see the same problem?
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hello Andy

There never seemed to be a problem with the pencil tool, but I tested it anyway with the "use precise cursor" on AND off , with no problems. But it definitely has a LARGE "drag" problem ( brush dragging behind the cursor) with the airbrush and the oil brush , wether the "use precise cursor" is ticked on OR off.
    I also tested it with the "precise tablet mode" ticket on AND ticked off , with no difference.

The amount of knowledge I have on software programing could be fatal to the world as we know it, so forgive me if this is asking a stupid question, but wouldn't a custom scratchdisc (like in photoshop) be a solution to such a graphic intensive program as Artrage? :?:

Gallery
    View images
    Hello,
    Andy, I think that RachelRock is experiencing to the same thing I was mentionning in my : "Precise cursor" post.

Go see this post Rachel and see if it is more or less the same thing.
    AB
    kiva.org
    How you can help people living in developing countries

Gallery
    View images
    Hello Alain

I appreciate your input, but I had a look at your post "Precise cursor" , and I don't believe that we're talking about the same thing.

The main problem is that the brushes ( or paint ) is like a second or so behind the cursor. So by the time I have finished my stroke , the "paint" is still busy catching up.

I hope that it explains it better. Thankyou

Gallery
    View images
    I just tried painting and it does seem that it is not the same issue.

I simply have the line being drawn in real time a little behind the cursor.
    I am slowly mastering this so it isn't a problem of catching up.
    AB
    kiva.org
    How you can help people living in developing countries

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for clarifying that, RachelRock.
    It sounds like a performance issue on large brushes.
    You can speed up the responsiveness of ArtRage slightly by turning off the light-rendering. Press <F5> to toggle surface lighting on and off.

We're always looking for more ways to make ArtRage more responsive.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"