Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine Doors, ArtRage 2 Free and Linux: automated install!

Gallery
    View images

Wine Doors, ArtRage 2 Free and Linux: automated install!

Hello boys, I just wanted to give you all a good new if any Linux User is logged here and if anybody in general cares a damn about it ;P
    I'm a Linux User and always worked to let people know that ArtRage 2 is fully functional and working in Linux, see this topic:

http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ighlight=linux
    http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...?p=59439#59439

Now I made a new and important step forward in this and I hope the Ambient Design Team and all of you may enjoy it.

There's this very interesting piece of software for Linux called Wine Doors:

http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/

It is a program that automatically downloads and installs for the users in Linux a list of programs (Periodically updated with new software) designed for Windows using Wine. This is a very important project since Wine is not very simple to use and it must be runt from command line. Now with WineDoors we have and automated and graphical frontend to download and install Windows Applications!

The news here is that I created the installer for ArtRage 2 Free Edition, so that now Wine Doors users can see Art Rage 2 Free in the Wine Doors available programs list and install it with a click of the mouse! Even simpler than in Windows itself! More informations here in my blog:

http://thedarkmaster.wordpress.com/2...th-wine-doors/

Hope you enjoy this and soon I'll also create an automated installer for the full version (Something like you download it once you bought it, put it in your home directory and Wine Doors installs it for you automatically)! Linux users can now enjoy ArtRage in a simpler way and the market is sure to expand soon I suppose

Did I mention that I love you and your program ?

Gallery
    View images
    This is such a useful post I felt it deserved to go in the Technical forum and made sticky so it stays at the top!

Thanks for that, DarkMaster. Excellent post.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Oh, I'm so glad you enjoyd it, I would have asked you to put it sticky but you did it already! That's the least I could have done, I told, I love you and ArtRage

Gallery
    View images
    I've purchased the full version of AR 2.5.... do I need to run through any additional hoops to get it going in Linux instead of the free version?

I'm particularly interested since I'm having persistent Wacom driver issues with my ThinkPad X61 tablet. With the MS tablet drivers I get single-clicks registering as double-clicks (and loss of advanced tablet options). With the Wacom drivers clicks register just fine but I lose all pressure sensitivity. Had this problem both in Vista Business 32 and x64.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by sumitagarwal
    I've purchased the full version of AR 2.5.... do I need to run through any additional hoops to get it going in Linux instead of the free version?

I'm particularly interested since I'm having persistent Wacom driver issues with my ThinkPad X61 tablet. With the MS tablet drivers I get single-clicks registering as double-clicks (and loss of advanced tablet options). With the Wacom drivers clicks register just fine but I lose all pressure sensitivity. Had this problem both in Vista Business 32 and x64.
    Look, you'll only have to install gdiplus.dll, then , with Wine AR2 Full works perfect. In any case you should before be sure that you tablet works perfect in Linux too, right?

Gallery
    View images
    thanks for the info... i'll keep it in mind but I'm not going to quite jump ship yet.

I just checked out the thread "Pressure Sensitivity 3" and it did the trick for me. Jeebus, how could they ship Vista is such a mangled state that you need pen-flicks or press-and-hold enabled to get pressure sensitivity?!

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by sumitagarwal
    thanks for the info... i'll keep it in mind but I'm not going to quite jump ship yet.

I just checked out the thread "Pressure Sensitivity 3" and it did the trick for me. Jeebus, how could they ship Vista is such a mangled state that you need pen-flicks or press-and-hold enabled to get pressure sensitivity?!
    Leave Vista alone, it is just unusable at the moment. Forget it and keep using XP or migrate to Mac OSX or Linux. You can also try running your tablet in Linux from a Virtual Machine. That is if you own something like vmware of course, because USB support is tricky with virtual box or qemu. Vmware server is free as is vmware player and they should support USB, or at least the server version should, I don't remember. Try experimenting with a VM even without jumping in for now.

I've just installed ArtRage 2.5 (the full version) under Linux (Debian lenny) using Wine, and yes, it really does work. It initially crashed in a really stupid manner, with ALSA bugs... then I realized that of course I don't need ALSA for it to run and disabled the sound card in Wine config, and it works splendidly now.

Installing Debian on the Thinkpad X60T was by and large difficult, getting ArtRage to work was a piece of cake compared to that. But what I say now is that if you have a Thinkpad tablet PC, you should by all means use Linux... even though it is hard to set up - especially the hard drive protection system -, but it's very much worth it, the end result is so much more stable than Windows XP... Windows XP has been quite stable on my desktop system, but on this tablet it was sheer suffering.

Gallery
    View images

AR2 Free under Ubuntu Gutsy

Thanks for the post on Wine-Doors - boy is THAT more intuitive!!! I've always appreciated WINE, but as a somewhat noob couldn't figure out how to work it myself. Wine-Doors is perfect.

AR2 Free is absolutely great on Linux! I hear that Santa is bringing my a Wacom for Christmas, and now I really can't wait!

One more vote here on a native Linux version - could we set up a pledge thread so that the kind folks here could see the profits before making the leap??? I don't blame them for being nervous, but I think $25 is a VERY reasonable price for a high-quality program (I especially love the 'get-the-heck-out-of-my-way' menus) and after paying lots of $$$ to M$ over the years, wouldn't even blink at it!

So, let's hear it guys - what do you need from us Linux folks to do this?

Gallery
    View images
    linux version would be great.The curent version works almost flawlessly with wine. Weird thing is that it works even better/faster with wine in linux than in windows,where i get more lags when i have many layers.

the biggest plus is that wine is actually capable of emulating wacom pressure sensitivity in artrage. Without that i'd never use it so much.

I wonder how a native linux version would work... but thats lots of work,and who knows- maybe artrage is using lycensed library components.Porting it to linux is not easy,also the support that linux users will need at the start...

I say,just keep the code compatable with wine,and the linux world will love and use artrage.Not because there are not many graphic design applications on linux (and artrage is getting ahead on the linux platform) ,but because of its original design and ease of use.Keep up the good work ,because you rock