ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Reference image manoevres

Reference image manoevres

Hi team,
    Before I whinge about anything, please can I say how much I love this programme (sorry, program), I am spreading the word... a digital art friend in Rhode Island has had it installed at two schools she teaches at and it is enormously popular there.

I installed the update last week. When I try and rotate the reference image, it is most reluctant to be rotated! I use Windows XP Pro.

Just another request for the future. I use photoshop all the time (and shhh! Painter a little too) so I am used to using the square bracket keys to resize my brushes so that I can keep on with the work flow. It is annoying to have to lift off the canvas and go to the toolbox. I know that's what real life artists have to do but I am not one of them and am so used to tinkering with the sizing all the time.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again

Sophie

Hi Sophie

you can scale the tool by hitting the arrowkeys (left and right) and also use the shift key together with the arrows to scale faster.

Don't know why you can't rotate the reference images. That sounds very odd indeed.

cheers,
    Peter
    Lead Concept Artist - NDS Denmark
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Quote Originally Posted by PVIllustration
    Hi Sophie

you can scale the tool by hitting the arrowkeys (left and right) and also use the shift key together with the arrows to scale faster.

Don't know why you can't rotate the reference images. That sounds very odd indeed.

cheers,
    Peter
    be good if you could keep painting and resize at the same time
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Hi there! Can you tell us step by step what you're doing to rotate the reference image? Using 2.5.15 here on XP Pro I'm currently able to rotate my reference images by bringing the cursor up to near the corner until it changes into the little circular arrow then left clicking and dragging to rotate. Perhaps we are doing something different though, do let me know and I can check it out for you here.

To increase and decrease the tool size, we use the right arrow key for 1% larger, left for 1% smaller or shift+right for 10% larger, shift + left for 10% smaller. Hope that's of some help!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage
    Hi there! Can you tell us step by step what you're doing to rotate the reference image? Using 2.5.15 here on XP Pro I'm currently able to rotate my reference images by bringing the cursor up to near the corner until it changes into the little circular arrow then left clicking and dragging to rotate. Perhaps we are doing something different though, do let me know and I can check it out for you here.

To increase and decrease the tool size, we use the right arrow key for 1% larger, left for 1% smaller or shift+right for 10% larger, shift + left for 10% smaller. Hope that's of some help!
    Dave but you can't paint and make the brush bigger or smaller at the same time (i'm i right?)
    Graham Fisher

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Well Graham, now it works exactly like it would if the shortcut was on bracket [ and ].

Would you like to be able to resize the brush in the middle of a stroke? I'm pretty sure that would result in some (at least for me) unwanted brush behavior.

I would like to have the scale brush shortcuts located on the leftside of the keyboard instead of the rightside since I have all the canvas pan/rotatation/zoom on the left. And scaling of the brush is the thing I do most together with the pan/rotatation/zoom and reaching my hand for the arrowkeys (or using the brushscale area) takes more time than needed and brings my focus down from the canvas/monitor to the keyboard. Very unintuitive and gives small breaks to the workflow that could be avoided.

In an ideal world (), I would suggest also assigning the ctrl key to scale the brush. ie. hold ctrl and move left or right to scale the brush up or down. Very fast, and doesn't break your workflow. And then if you really wanted precise scaling of the brush you would use the arrowkey shortcuts.

cheers,
    Peter
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage
    Hi Dave, Yes I have 2.5.15. I hover till the cursor changes to the rotate symbol but I have to push up (north) for the reference image to tilt down on the left corner and drag down (south) for the left side of the image to tilt up.

If this is how it is supposed to be then I apologise but I don't remember it being like that before unless I am having a 'senior moment'!

I could send you a video capture using SnagIT but the file size could be mammoth and I don't have or know of any free compression software.

Regards,

Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by PVIllustration
    Well Graham, now it works exactly like it would if the shortcut was on bracket [ and ].

Would you like to be able to resize the brush in the middle of a stroke? I'm pretty sure that would result in some (at least for me) unwanted brush behavior.

I would like to have the scale brush shortcuts located on the leftside of the keyboard instead of the rightside since I have all the canvas pan/rotatation/zoom on the left. And scaling of the brush is the thing I do most together with the pan/rotatation/zoom and reaching my hand for the arrowkeys (or using the brushscale area) takes more time than needed and brings my focus down from the canvas/monitor to the keyboard. Very unintuitive and gives small breaks to the workflow that could be avoided.

In an ideal world (), I would suggest also assigning the ctrl key to scale the brush. ie. hold ctrl and move left or right to scale the brush up or down. Very fast, and doesn't break your workflow. And then if you really wanted precise scaling of the brush you would use the arrowkey shortcuts.

cheers,
    Peter
    Hi Peter it would be cool sometimes to beale to paint and make the brush bigger or smaller, but your right its not really the way to paint. For me and the way i use the keyboard if they start using ctrl for thing that going to be very hard as i use stickykeys to hold or lock ctrl shift and Alt
    Graham Fisher

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Hi Graham. Yeah, you are right. the ctrl option might not work for you. I'm just thinking - if you could just press ctrl, scale the brush, and press ctrl again wouldn't that work for you? Or would that clash with some other feature in ArtRage?

Anyways, like I wrote I would hope for both ways of scaling the brush.

Pleeeeaaase Andy, with sugar on top! 8)
    Illustrator
    www.petervillumsen.com

Hi there,
    I have identified the problem a little more clearly now. I like the reference image to be on the right of my canvas. It is in this position, when trying to tilt the left lower corner of the ref. img that the rotating wants to work in reverse. If I have the ref. img on the left side of the canvas, it works logically! :?

Now I know how to work it the way I want, I am not too fussed. I would like to know that it is not me or my download that is at fault though.

Thanks and may the creative force be with you!

Sophie