Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is art and what compels the artist?

Gallery
    View images

What is art and what compels the artist?

Hi all,

I have read in some posts here, with great interest, about what defines art. Whether photo realism or digitally created work actually qualify etc.

My question is this: Is art or the arts more about the struggle of the individual to define themselves rather than the actual content of their work. And any acceptance of an art form or not is more about acceptance or not of the individual.

"I am struggling to define the vapour trails that drift across my sky. I see my footprints in the sand, yet still i am no closer to I."

Just a thought :-)
    Forget the taste of honey there's a monkey on your back.

Gallery
    View images
    Leo Tolstoy's thoughts on this subject:

http://www.csulb.edu/~jvancamp/361r14.html

Gallery
    View images
    In a nutshell: art is a form of human communication in which the immediate content is used not as the message, but as the vehicle for an embedded emotional message.

In a less condensed form: art is a kind of communication. For some message to qualify as art, its sender's intended meaning must be not the literal content of the message, but the subliminal emotional response that content evokes in whoever receives it. This focus on secondary emotional "message" is the defining feature of "art".

(Note: not any such subliminal communication qualifies as art, because the content should be emotional: a feeling, an evocation, a sequence of feelings, a make-you-think puzzle, an eye-opening, etc. Manipulating the recipient into buying some product or loving/hating a particular political figure begins to stray into the gray zone. Trying to irk the recipient with incomprehensible or shocking stuff is probably even further into the gray zone.)

Gallery
    View images
    I really love being a fly on the wall for some of these discussions, they're really thought provoking!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Gallery
    View images
    i know i'm new to this forum and i don't want come off to ( out there ).

Art ( the word ) root is "skill", or to put another way "to preform"

but to define a skill (to preform) is so open to the individual interpertation.

Art for the most of the past 200 hundred years ( for most critics ) is more about what is "not" art. By the 1900's the artist's movements were flying out of the studios faster then the critics could knock them down ( like a artist whack a mole game ) so they just but the word art on everything. ( sence everything fit the idea of what was (art = skill) in the past )

When i comes to the art form and the artist they are one in the same. ( in self expression )

the artist will talk more about their message, then the tools used to create the message.

The real diffence in the world of imagery is that of the work of the individual veruses the work of a team ( or group ) artist creating for a client in mind.

the image could be broken into parts 1) subject 2) message ( artist intent ) 3) the visual appeal or design

all three play there roll on the viewer, whether we like or dislike the image ( art for some, is trash for others )

Steve

i love this topic

Gallery
    View images
    hope i wasn't a kill joy for this thread

Steve

( wet blank of the forum world :wink: )

Gallery
    View images
    Steve ... first of all ... don't think that your opinion doesn't matter here. But when all is said and done ... has anyone really been able to define what art is? To me, it's a means of reaching out ... a means of showing a part of me that otherwise might go unnoticed ... and still does to those who are not in touch with their inner "muse". I don't expect to be recognized ... I don't even expect to be appreciated ... not even by those who mean the most to me. Maybe the real discussion here should be on the meaning of the term "artist".

Gallery
    View images
    i see your point Robert.

people ( myself included ) want an easy answer to art, but art is like the artist ( the individual ) random and always changing. no 2 people are the same i knew a set of twins 1 mean and 1 nice, how we percieve life and our experences are only 1 part of our indivadualism, the twins are biologicly different ( not on the outside but in the way they dealt with life)

Artist ( most ) want 1 of 2 things, skill to express yourself and standout from the rest.

expressing yourself is the easy part

Steve

Gallery
    View images

Thanks ALL :-)

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, really appreciated and thanks for the Tolstoy link Robert, interesting stuff. And Yeah! i guess what i meant was what you have highlighted more clearly as well. What is art to the artist? What compels the creative instinct. So i will update the topic heading to include this.

Why does an artist produce art? For relaxation, expression, recognition or just for money ;-) Maybe all these things

Also can one tell from the type of art that is produced what may have motivated it?

A few more questions to ponder.

Keep it easy...rik
    Forget the taste of honey there's a monkey on your back.

Gallery
    View images
    I would say that art historically until the invention of photography was used primarily as a visual archive of things that we see in life. There was no other form of catching a portrait, scenery, or still life form. Since the invention of photography that does a much better job of catching that historical moment of visual interest art has moved in the direction of the imagination and a form of expression. It is not to say that imagination within art never existed in earlier times. Due to the hardship of life for most people there was not much time and resources to participate in artwork. Also, the fact that governments in the past were a lot more restrictive on the exercise of free speech, artwork had very limited opportunity for expression.
    The very first digital art program that I worked with Art Rage 1

You may visit my personally designed website at: www.stephenlopiano.com
    There is one section full of pages there under the Digital Artwork category that is devoted entirely to paintings I have created with Art Rage.