Thread: straight line helper

Gallery
    View images

straight line helper

I know/think your guys are trying to keep the program as non technical as possible & sure tablet users can use a ruler but with a mouse one has to retry over and over till we get it.

The way I'd like to see it work is if you hold shift & click it draws a line (with what ever tool your using) from the last point you clicked/painted from before (& if hold ctrl it snaps to 15 angle). This is the way it's implemented in the GIMP (cant rememmber if PS has a similar technique).

Not the most importent thing but it work be a nice feature. :wink:

Gallery
    View images
    Until the dev team figure this one out, even with a mouse, unless you are using a trackball, you can just roll it along a straight edge to get a straight line. Obviously the edge of your desk or something wouldn't work, but, for example, a book stood on its end might work, so that the straight edge's height is enough to keep the mouse "in line," as it were.

- Gita

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks for the tips justG, I had tried that without much luck tho. My mice have a rubber grip all the way around that dose not allow for smooth running along stuff (hehe, also the tapered shape of the mouse dose not help).

I am getting better at doing lines free hand/mouse & any imperfections makes it look less computerized. Are the ArtRage gang trying to force us to become better artists?

Gallery
    View images

Line art

Hi, I'm new to artrage and just trying it out now. I am favorably impressed, the natural media felt pretty good and behaved quite realisticaly, and I love the out-of-my-way interface. I am likely to purchase.

I second the motion for a straightedge tool, one of the things which attracted me to Artrage2 is it's capability to rapidly rotate the canvas.

Couple that rotation with the existing natual media, a straightedge and maybe a circle guide, and this app would appeal not only to a strictly painterly workflow but would allow for traditional drafting, perspective drawing, concept art, animation backgrounds etc. (For those unfamiliar with the workflow you can rapidly place perspective guides by rotating the canvas under a straightedge placed over a vanishing point.)

Using a physical ruler with a graphics tablet leaves something to be desired (I also use a cintiq and would hate to be risking scratching up my screen with a physical straightedge.)

Another feature I'd like is a hotkey to flip between the current tool and the last tool used, that way I could draw faint blue perspective lines and then ink lines in black faster than I could pick up different pens in real life.

my newbie $.02 Thanks for an awesome tool!

Gallery
    View images
    Thank you for these ideas everyone. I'd have to agree, the mental image of using a ruler on a cintiq does set my teeth on edge in a very "That could end up being expensive in an unfortunate way" manner!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design