ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Disappearing pallets

Disappearing pallets

Hi ArtRage,

I’m new at this computer assisted painting, and new to AR2 as well, so I apologize if I’m asking really dumb questions.

How come sometimes all my pallets just disappear completely off my screen? (I’m using a Toshiba Tablet R25). They’re completely gone, not just minimized. The art work remains visible, but I have no way of saving it or reopening it. I can ‘re-open’ AR2, but it gives me a brand new canvas. I can’t get the previous art onto the new canvas, or get the ‘new’ pallets onto the previous art.

Can someone point me to a decent explanation of the relationship between DPI and inches and pixels? I couldn’t find anything in the manual.

I don’t seem to be able to ‘import’ (if that’s the word) a grid as a layer or tracing. Most are PDF files. Any suggestions?

As was mentioned in other posts, I would also like to have a choice of ‘ink’ or ‘dyes’ not just paint, as well as an ‘art pen’.

Also, is there anyway of copying and pasting text/wp into an AR2 document?

Not withstanding all of the above, I LOVE THIS SOFTWARE! Thanks so much!

Vincine

Pressing the tablet stylus button could be making the palettes vanish. Accidentally right-clicking while you're doing a stroke is common if you're not used to using styluses.
    Right-clicking again, or pressing 'Enter' will bring all your palettes and panels back again.

DPI you can ignore unless you want to print out your artwork. In that case it relates to the size the printed artwork will be on the paper.
    If you have a painting 600 pixels wide by 600 pixels tall, and you set the DPI (Dots Per Inch) setting to 300, then when it is printed it will be 2 inches wide by 2 inches tall. (600 pixels, with 300 pixels in every inch equals two inches)
    But during the process of painting, and working with the image digitally, DPI doesn't make any difference at all to the quality of the digital image.

Create your grid overlays as a PNG image - then they'll be perfect quality when you import them as a tracing paper overlay or imported layer.

If you create text in another graphics application - for example Photoshop - you can copy the graphical result to the clipboard, then paste into ArtRage.

And we're always happy to answer questions!
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Hi,

i have the same problem. But i am not able to bring back the palettes and panels.

I tried to press the enter button and also to press the right button on the stylus. Nothing works.

It seems the app hangs, although i can use the actual choosen painting tool.

I am using a tablet pc with xp pro teblett edition.

Matthias

Can you give me more details about what makes the problem occur, matthiasr?

Does it happen on every stroke, or only some strokes? Does it happen with every tool or only some tools?

Can you email a screen shot to andy@ambientdesign.com of ArtRage when it is stuck with no panels?

Are you using ArtRage 2.5?

Thanks for any more information you can give.

Hi,

Yes, I found holding the SINGLE button on my stylus (it’s a Toshiba tablet, XP tablet) and tapping the screen often brings back the pallets. It seems to function like a toggle switch. I use the tablet ‘closed’ and often without the screen or real keyboard handy

What’s NEW is the art disappearing and the pallets remaining. I’m able to bring it back by closing AR2, reopening it, and going to recent documents, but I have to have saved/named it first.

GRIDS/TEXT
    I found I can generate a grid/graph paper from one of the free grid apps’ available over the ‘net (Google ‘grid graph paper’). It generates PDF file, which I then ‘select all’ and ‘copy‘. This I then paste into a MS paint document. Which I name, save and close. Now the grid is a ‘gif’ file I believe. Then I can ‘import’ it into AR2.

The same thing works for text.

I hope this helps somebody. If there’s a better way, I wouldn’t mind finding out.

Vincine-

You may be able to paste it straight into ArtRage, if you have ArtRage 2.5 and the Grid application saves it as a useful format on the clipboard.
    Then you can position it using the layer transformation tools, and set the layer's opacity to 25% or so to use it like an overlayed tracing paper.

Hi,

All the grid apps I've found seem to save as a PDF, I checked. Hence the MS Paint detour.

MS Paint is usually free 'bloatware' stashed in the 'Accesariers' folder, if one didn't know (Actually, it's there even if you did know. ).

Vincine