ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Cheap tablet for son

Cheap tablet for son

Hi

My 5 year old son has been using the free 2.2 for a month or so now, and seems to really enjoyusing it. I have now upgraded to the Mac version of 2.5, which I would recommend to anyone using the free version.

My question is, I would like to buy him a cheap tablet, as he only uses it occasionally, as I can imagine it improves the feel of using Art Rage over using a mouse, but which tablet would be best?

I would rather not spend any more than £50 GBP, as it will not be used very often and is likely to get damaged! :twisted:

Would I be best with a Nisis, used Wacom, Aiptek, Medion, Wacom Bambo..... This is for Mac!

Any help on this would be great.

Many Thanks
    Danny

Wacom is known for making stuff that doesn't break. But a five year old you say, they can break anything...

But get something reasonably nice, like a Wacom graphire4 XL. That one is midrange priced with midrange functionality. While not the ferrari of Wacoms it's good enough that you can use it to learn using a tablet for real. You'll thank me when he gets really into it, gets really good and is hired as a concept artist at Lucasarts.

I bought a Trust tablet at 49,90 (152x203 mm working space).
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

My old tablet was a Trust...I've had it for about 10 months and my 9 and 12 year old daughters have both used it..... :lol: It's still intact(it just doesn't work with vista)It cost me £40 but you may be able to get it cheaper than that on Amazon...
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

I have a feeling that Trust only make stuff for Windows and not Mac. I had seen a Genius one (Genius G-PEN 450) with:

Working Area 4"x5.5"
    Resolution (LPI) 2000 (default)
    Number of Buttons 2
    Pressure Sensitivity 1024

It's only £25 and works with Mac.

I have seen the Wacom Graphire 4 A6 size for £59, but I don't know how often he will use it(1-2x a week?), and how long before he forgets it.

The other deciding factor is, having never owned or looked at tablets untill finding Art Rage (via a mac podcast recommendation), I don't know how easy they are to use, or whether it can be used with iphoto 6?

I do like my photography, so if they are very handy for touch ups I might push for the Wacom.

Any thoughts?

The graphire 4 is advertised as photo touchup tool rather than a painting tool. Us artists that are still just students tend to start off with a graphire though, as they are affordable.

www.wacom.com

well i use a wacom graphire 2 4x5" for my work and it's perfectly acceptable for all artrage use.
    but perhaps you could get a 2nd hand older model from ebay or something if you don't want to fork out the money for a new model?
    i never knew i was so empty that i could be so full...

Im a wacom user so im biased toward them and although i now have upgraded i used a Graphire for a year or so in uni and they were quite good.

...the 2c id put in as to what to choose is just make sure you get one that has interchangeable pen nibs...if he does get keen on using a tablet he'll wear em down pretty quick if he uses em a bit or has a heavy hand and it will get expensive if you keep needing to but new pens rather than just new nibs

Selby
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~

Just saw a Graphire 2 on ebay for £25 GBP. Snapped it up.

If he keeps going with it and enjoys it I'll look at a bigger tablet £100-200, if it helps his appertite for learning and fuels his artistic side, in which case I'll be back for recommendations then. I do feel better knowing I've gone for the Wacom.

Thanks for all your input.

You never know, he may start posting his work soon!!!

The Graphire 2 arrived, and it's great. Soooo much better than using a mouse, though I think it will take a while to get used to fully.

Writing while looking at the screen is a bit strange, but I'm getting used to it after only 30 mins.

Thanks everyone.