ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improve to Vista/Linux or go Mac?

Gallery
    View images

Improve to Vista/Linux or go Mac?

I thought to take advantage of the variety of experiences by the forum users to make a tough decision:

Until now I'm working on an old Compaq Presario 700 notebook with AMD Duron 896 MHz, 256 MB RAM and 14" display bearing the usual XP instability.
    So it's time to change for a Core 2 Duo, 2.0 MHz, 1 MB RAM and 17" display.

I'm pondering to change for an iMac and to get rid once for all of Microsoft known unending issues. But this means to double my inversion (not to speak of to buy a new version of ArtRage which, no doubt, worths it).

Other possibility is to get a PC with some Linux distribution. But then, I'm not a technical savvy and I wonder if I'll be able to keep working with my usual stuff (mainly, AR and Painter) and what Linux distribution to choose.

Does anybody has a comparative experience to share with me? I thank you in advance for any help.
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Gallery
    View images
    I tried Ubuntu for a while. Easy version of Linux. Get a laptop with a standard graphics card though, needing to mess with Nvidia or ATI drivers is the reason I stopped using Ubuntu.

It has a list of programs that can be installed from an official Ubuntu repository from a straightforward interface with the click of a button, check it out first by downloading the live cd. (Just burn it to a cd and have your computer boot from the cd-drive, lets you try it without installing it, using just your ram and never your harddrive. You can even download and install open source programs from the repository. Though it crashes if you try to install more programs than fit in the ram.)

Apparently Artrage works out of the box with Linux if you install the Wine application (Some kind of Windows environment emulator that lets you use some windows programs with Linux).

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks, ÄlveKatt. I was googlin for a while and it seems that Corel Painter doesn´t work well with Wine. So, I think I'll seek for some geek to do a HD partition and a Linux installation for an alternative use.
    Nulla die sine linea

Gallery
    View images
    In my unofficial opinion...
    Unless you're fairly technically competent, stick with OSX or Vista.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Row
    Thanks, ÄlveKatt. I was googlin for a while and it seems that Corel Painter doesn´t work well with Wine. So, I think I'll seek for some geek to do a HD partition and a Linux installation for an alternative use.
    Two things: Dell now has computers that come set up with Ubuntu Linux, and I have set up ArtRage 2.2 using wine, and it works great along with my Wacom Intuos 3 tablet. (The Intuos worked right from the install!)

However, the newer ArtRage2.5x does NOT work because of some programming changes by Ambient Design. Be real nice to get it working on Linux though...

And finally, setting up Windows and Linux as a dual boot is dead easy now a days, especially Ubuntu-the install sets up a boot manager with windows and linux as menue choices. When you boot up, just choose the one you want.

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by Improv
    However, the newer ArtRage2.5x does NOT work because of some programming changes by Ambient Design. Be real nice to get it working on Linux though...
    In another thread it has been reported that ArtRage 2.5 does work under Wine under Linux. The change to ArtRage which caused the uncertainty was our new dependence on gdiplus.dll for our Image file format IO. (We also changed to Quicktime on MacOSX at the same time).

gdiplus.dll is freely available from Microsoft's download site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Note though that Ambient Design doesn't officially support running ArtRage on Linux. We can't offer technical support. If it works, great! If it doesn't work, there's nothing we can do.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    I am already aware of that thread, thanks. I also tried the procedure and it still does not work. That was with Ubuntu 7.04, latest updates. Seems that linux/wine does not recognize the .msi file nor know what to do with it! :-(

Next idea please! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRage
    In another thread it has been reported that ArtRage 2.5 does work under Wine under Linux. The change to ArtRage which caused the uncertainty was our new dependence on gdiplus.dll for our Image file format IO. (We also changed to Quicktime on MacOSX at the same time).

gdiplus.dll is freely available from Microsoft's download site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Note though that Ambient Design doesn't officially support running ArtRage on Linux. We can't offer technical support. If it works, great! If it doesn't work, there's nothing we can do.

I am already aware of that thread, thanks. I also tried the procedure and it still does not work. That was with Ubuntu 7.04, latest updates. Seems that linux/wine does not recognize the .msi file nor know what to do with it! :-(

Next idea please! :-)
    Try this: Put your ''artrage2.5_winfull.msi'' file on Desktop, start console and type:

Code:
    cd Desktop

msiexec /i artrage2.5_winfull.msi
    After ''Enter'' installation procedure should start (before that, of course, you should put gdiplus.dll in /home/<your_name>/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/)

I've tried this on my Ubuntu 7.04 and it works perfectly

Gallery
    View images
    Bob,

I can't really give you experience in comparing the two systems. But I can give you my thoughts since I'll be making the Windows to Mac this year (when the new OS is released). My reasons for making the switch are as follows:
    1.) The Mac is pretty!-- okay, okay, I know, pathetic reason...but I'm a girl, so give me a bit of a break. But those screens on the iMac surely are nice. And the eye-candy (animations and the like) built into the OS are fun.
    2.) I'm a bit of a computer geek, so I like the fact that I can get down and dirty using the terminal if I need to. (sometimes typing commands is nicer than using the mouse) And it allows for extensive scriptability (is that even a word? ) for automating processes.
    3.) Curiosity...I've run windows for so long, that I really want to see how the other side lives. (And the computer geek rears it's head again...I'd like to play around with writing code on a different system.)
    4.) If I really must, I can run Windows on the new Macs now. (But I only plan to do that as a last resort if I can't find Mac versions of some of the software I use on a daily basis.)
    5.) It's got quite a bit of built in software that appeals to my creative side as well as running well the standard software packages that I already use quite a bit.
    and 6.) It's not Microsoft!!! :-D

I don't know if this helps at all...but I have been thinking about this for a long time. Maybe someone else can answer with real world experience with using both systems.

Gallery
    View images
    I thank you all for your responses. I've been doing some research at Linux forums and it seems that this great initiative isn't yet mature for the regular user.
    I 'd like to change for a Mac but it's still beyond my pocket size. But I'm really afraid of Vista's huge requirements in computer power and of it's code flaws.

So I think I'll improve one of my home XP PC's in the meantime and try to make some money surplus. May be ArtRage will help me to manage that!
    Nulla die sine linea