ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: HorseWIP

HorseWIP

After Steppenwolf and Tinzo I would add my version.
    I could not compete with either the imaginative and evocative horse of my countryman Steppenwolf or the superior and professional skill of Tinzo because of my limited talent, but I wish to contribute.
    I would point out that, once again, I did not use any refence image so if proportions or parts of the anatomy ar wrong, pls tell me, since I do not expect my mind to produce perfect shapes without help.
    Finally I sketched a female horse in order to avoid to put it in the After 9 section (where a couple of other WIPs are "rising", human females this time) also because I'm not sure what was the final answer about presence of masculine organs (even if it would have been a resting horse one :lol: )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	horsewip_179.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	9099  
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

A developed a fantasy background landscape, not a very interesing one, just to place the standing horse and keep sure it won't subtract attention to the main subject. Maybe the landscape, in case of success with the horse, might be improved. Any suggestion is welcome!

Name:	horsewip2_713.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	9102  

Hi there Caesar, I think you've made a good start to this painting, I tend not to do the background first, because it's then more difficult to match the tone and look of the animal. Get straight in painting the horse, then see how the horse fits into the background.

Thank You very much for the advice.
    I agree on the suggested process and I'll store the background while going on (I can certainly change it, even completely, since I did not pay too much attention to it as an exercise).

Here's the new step concentrated on the horse according to the most appreciated suggestion of Tinzo. So far the landscape tone (I tested) do not chromatically matches so I hid it and I do not exclude I change it after I see better the horse and what it would require as a background and palette.
    I'm quite satisfied with the proportions and anatomy so far considering I did it without looking at any model, picture etc. If someone knows more about horses, pls suggest me corrections!

Name:	horsewip3_100.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	9103  

The proportions look fine to me, it's coming along nicely.

Good horse!