ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Wacom Bamboo] - good enough for ArtRage?

[Wacom Bamboo] - good enough for ArtRage?

Hello,

first I have to excuse my bad English.

I am new to ArtRage and want to start painting with the new Wacom Bamboo. Has anyone of you tried this new product? The Bamboo is not really designed to paint with, but I do not want to spend more money.

Thanks a lot
    Flughund

Re: [Wacom Bamboo] - good enough for ArtRage?

Quote Originally Posted by Flughund
    Hello,

first I have to excuse my bad English.

I am new to ArtRage and want to start painting with the new Wacom Bamboo. Has anyone of you tried this new product? The Bamboo is not really designed to paint with, but I do not want to spend more money.

Thanks a lot
    Flughund
    As you mentioned, the Bamboo is not really meant for graphics/painting, but more for office use with Vista features.

You might be better to get a Wacom Graphire, which is only $100 or so. What price is the Bamboo?

Re: [Wacom Bamboo] - good enough for ArtRage?

Quote Originally Posted by Improv
    As you mentioned, the Bamboo is not really meant for graphics/painting, but more for office use with Vista features.

You might be better to get a Wacom Graphire, which is only $100 or so. What price is the Bamboo?
    I expected that, but what are really the problems with the Bamboo in daily use?

I could buy an old Graphire 4 for 72, which is cheaper than the Bamboo, which cost 77. But this Graphire 4 fpr 77 is the small one (DIN A6 in Germany), and everybody is tolding me, that I should buy the bigger one (DIN A5 in Germany). The bigger Graphire 4 costs 166 - to much, I think.
    The Bamboo is also small, but its the newer product. :-P

I looked at the Bamboo specs earlier. It matches those of the Volito A6.
    Why would you expect any problems using it? Try it out. I have been using a Volito A6 with ArtRage for year (until it broke down - I wore the pen out).

The only problem I would expect is that the Bamboo surface looks very slippery. If so - you may try putting a normal piece of paper on top of the surface and paint on that.

A6 worked great for me - in general you just have to zoom a little extra than with the bigger pens. I bought a Graphire A5 now - the pen is cool, but I have to get used to the much larger paint area. Also it takes up more space on the desk! Kind of miss the A6 sometimes...

DoodLS

I was looking a the Bamboo the fact that it said that it was certified to work with Vista was what grabbed my attention.....I assumed because it had pressure settings in the pen that it was like any other graphics tablet and that you could use it at such.... :lol: It does mention this on the website http://www.wacom.eu/bamboo/?lang=en
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble
    I was looking a the Bamboo the fact that it said that it was certified to work with Vista was what grabbed my attention.....I assumed because it had pressure settings in the pen that it was like any other graphics tablet and that you could use it at such.... :lol: It does mention this on the website http://www.wacom.eu/bamboo/?lang=en
    All the current Wacom tablets work with Vista-it's no big deal-just a free driver update.

As for the pressure settings, they are not all the same. For instance, the Graphire has 512 pressure levels and the Intuos has 1024 pressure levels. This allows for greater subtlety of pressure and expression. Like the difference between a picture in the newspaper and a quality colour photo.

Not sure if the Bamboo is 512 pressure levels like the Graphire and Volito, or if it's only 256 pressure levels.

Thing to remember about the Bamboo is that it is the cheapest tablet that Wacom makes. Wacom would not be so stupid as to make a cheap tablet that is equivalent to their top of the line Intuos and Cintiq. And there is no graphics software packaged with Bamboo, only hand writing recognition. Bamboo is designed to cash in on the handwriting features of Vista.

Bottom line as usual: try out different models and see what's right for you.

Thanks For that Improv..it's made it alot clearer for me
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble
    Thanks For that Improv..it's made it alot clearer for me
    My pleasure. Believe me, I fully understand a tight budget. But I have always thought it a false economy to buy bottom of the line, especially with something like a tablet that is going to aid in your self expression through painting and drawing. There's such a thing as use value!

There are reasons why people buy Intuos tablets vs. Bamboo. My first tablet was a Graphire, and at the time, could not see the need for an Intuos. Eight months later I tried an Intuos and started saving for one-it was way worth it. Now I wouldn't go back if you paid me.

Trying an Intuos is believing!

My Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth does what i want, but here in new zealand it cost alot more than you guys pay ($500)nz but for me it was the best $500 i have ever spent
    Graham Fisher
    Email: Home cripster99@gmail.com

Homepage: artwheel.org

Mobile: 021-029-75930

Artrage 2.6
    Artrage 3.5
    Artrage 4.04

Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth
    Win7
    4GB 64bit
    sp2

Quote Originally Posted by cripster
    My Wacom Graphire 6x8 Bluetooth does what i want, but here in new zealand it cost alot more than you guys pay ($500)nz but for me it was the best $500 i have ever spent
    That's what I meant above about use value! 8)