Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fur Tutorial(Tiger W.I.P)

Gallery
    View images

Fur Tutorial(Tiger W.I.P)

Here are the steps I went through to do my Tiger Painting....
    My original Picture size is 1612x1528. I used a mouse for this painting the settings maybe different for a tablet, I don't know I'll get back to you when I get my new tablet :lol:
    I started by laying down the base colours with 100% brush size and 100% loading. Then going over it with a dry brush 100% Size and about 20% pressure(see Tiger(W.I.P.)).

Then I added a layer and painted on the colours for the fur using 25% size brush 30% loading and 8% pressure. (Tiger(W.I.P.)2
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

Gallery
    View images
    Still on the same layer. I tried to keep to the natural flow of the fur as I was painting in the colours as it made it easier to blend later.(Tiger(W.I.P)3)
    Then when I was done with all the fur...I used the new blend tool on 28% size and 20% pressure on all the large areas of fur...just to spread the paint out a bit.(Close Up A)

Then with the blend tool set on 4% Size and 20% pressure I blended the colours of the fur together using a sort of up and down motion(In Green on Tiger(W.I.P)4

Then for the outside edges of the fur and the ears I used a single Up or Down motion...to get the whispy fur(In Red on Tiger(W.I.P)4

I've also included some close ups to try to give you a better idea :wink:
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

Gallery
    View images
    Basically where two colours of the fur touch blend them using the up/down motion.
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos

Gallery
    View images
    You might just have posted just what I need for my Endless forest fanart! I think i'll try it out and see how it works at least.

Thanks a bundle.

Gallery
    View images
    I continued blending the edges of the colours together again trying to keep with the natural flow of the fur(In green on Tiger(W.I.P)5).
    I decided that the flow of the fur wasn't right on the right and left so I added another layer and added some more paint in the right flow then I blended it using the same settings but using the motion shown in Red on Tiger(W.I.P)6
    If you have problems getting the angle right try rotating the canvas :lol:

Your welcome AlveKatt :lol:
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos

Gallery
    View images
    I added another layer and drew in some small whiskers around his mouth using the pencil tool on 50% pressure and Softness and 25% size with Precise set to on... (nearly finished)
    Then I added some whispy hairs to the edge of his fur with the pencil tool and softened them with the new blend tool so they were not so harsh.

For his large whiskers I added another layer and set the opacity to about 59%. Then using the paintbrush set to 7% size and 8% pressure and 30% loading I painted his large whiskers. I used an off white colour sort of a blue-grey. I still found the large whiskers a bit harsh so I went over tham with the eraser set to a very low setting.

There you have it I hope I explained it all OK. If there is any part that I didn't explain very well....just let me know and I will be happy to try and help
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos

Gallery
    View images
    GORGEOUS!! You did an excellent job, and thanks so much for taking the time to give such in-depth instructions! I am sure this will come in handy for me later.
    jess

Gallery
    View images
    You're welcome Jessilynn
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos

Gallery
    View images
    He looks very cuddly! I'll let someone cuddle with him first, though!

Great tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

D.

Gallery
    View images
    WOW Bumble! your work really is impressive.

Thanks for all the detail about pressure and the other brush setttings and layers etc. Its really interesting as I am new to this program and am keen to learn how to use all the tools for good effect like you can.

Can somebody point out for me exactly where to find the 'new blending tool' that you mentioned here? I cant seem to find it anywhere :?

Thanks,
    Rowena.