ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pueblo-wip retry

Gallery
    View images

Pueblo-wip retry

phase one rework ... I'm gonna get this right or die trying. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Gallery
    View images
    I don't think I'm getting this shadow thing. Does this even make sense?

Gallery
    View images
    I don't know. But it might be that the colours of the sky pretty much implies that the sun is just beyond the upper left tip of the drawing. If you make the shadows much longer it might feel more right.

Maybe you could use a ruler set from the point where the sun should be? I think you should just use it for one shadow though and then use that shadow as a guide for the rest. I think that because of the fact that the sun is one whole AU away and like, enormous, normal perspective tricks go a bit wonky when you draw shadows.

Gallery
    View images
    Robert,

Right on target with this one. Looks a whole lot like Taos, even down to the colors in the sky, which is really what caught my breath. All you need are a few res dogs following grandma to get the morning bread hahaha. I love it, keep going

Gallery
    View images
    i think it could be a contrast issue

comparing your shadow on the dark side of your wall, with the shadow cast on the sun lit side of the wall ...

scale down your black shadows to a more of the same colour ( from the shadow side of the wall) and you will get more of what i think you are looking for.

i was playing with your picture to show you what i mean ( hope you don't mind )
    and the angles of one of the shadow seems alittle to sharp

just my thoughts :0

steve

Gallery
    View images
    Thanks CB and Steve. With those words as inspiration I've decided to go back to work on this one almost from the begining. I'll keep you posted.

Gallery
    View images
    phase 1

Gallery
    View images
    looking good

Steve

Gallery
    View images
    Death before dishonor, eh?

Rule of thumb for shadows in order of brightness (assuming the same local color): Light side, dark side, cast shadow. Then there's subtleties in all of those, like bounced light and so on, but that's generally it.

Remember that for the cast shadows, when the shadow falls over more than one local colored surface (like the wall and the dirt ground), that it's the amount of relative darkness that is consistent.

So if it were cast over a brown and white checkerboard, that both would darken proportionally, and the brown in shadow would still be darker by the same degree as the white would darken (more or less).

One exception might be where you opt to go black for all shadows if it serves the picture to go extreme contrast or it's a dark pic and black is your only way to go.

Colors in the shadows is going to be tough to have influenced by the sky because the sky is so multicolored. Were it a blue sky it would take on a blueish cast. But going cool in the shadows it generally how it goes.

I'm sure there are countless tutorials on shadowing going back to creating volume using a sphere, a cone, a cube and a cylinder. They teach that stuff because it fairly universally applies.

You're doing great.

Gallery
    View images
    still rough. but i think the shadows work better here.