Thread: Why Disney will never hire me

Gallery
    View images

Why Disney will never hire me

I had to illustrate this article about Craig Venter and his genetics manipulations. So it came to my mind Disney's "Sorcerer's apprentice" from the film "Fantasy" and I choose to try AR 2.5 with it. The sketch went easy with the great new precise pencil but then, I made a series of bad chooses. I wanted to ink before painting and started with the wet marker and then with the thinnered brush. With both the process was a painful one (lack of precision) that took most of my dead line time. Then I tried to block the color masses (clothes and Mickey ears) with the chalks and I got this poor'n flated results. With just a few minutes to finish I barely painted the face, the aide broom (forgot the lightings) and the background. A fast cleaning and mailing.
    ¡A complete disaster!
    I don't blame AR2.5 for my bad choices at a genre (comics) I am not familiar with. It seems AR wasn't intended for inking. Maybe I could save a lot of time painting first and reinforcing lines later. I didn't even tried the airbrush.

A few days afterwards I painted a more traditional portrait with fair good results as you'll see at the Gallery.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Gallery
    View images
    I think the felt pen with the Art Pen option turned to on and no wetness would be best used for inking. I use it for all my lineart.

If you have trouble with the colour bleeding try setting the layer paper settings to cel.

Edit: Oh, and that's a great image. Regardless of the mistakes you claim to have made.

Gallery
    View images
    I think it was a great idea.

I think that sometimes working back and forth between programs is not necessarily a bad idea. You might have been able to save this one.

Anyway, I hate having things screw up at the last minute. Horrible feeling of panic.

Looks nice what I can see of it.

Gallery
    View images
    Haven't even tried my first painting yet but all I can hope for are results half as good as this, that would make me vewry vewry happy also nice to get some advanced hints from viewing posts like yours...good job!

wfd

Gallery
    View images
    ÄlveKatt: I've been trying at different setting combinations but still not comfortable with the results. Not sure what you meant with "cel"; setting the paper roughness to "0" improves it but I still get an awkward little "tail" at the end of each stroke. Perhaps it's my tablet settings.

D Akey: you're right and I think I'll stick with Painter's Scratchboard tool for my inking (and change for a better computer to have the two app open at once)

wfd: After many years of pro working you don't expect to feel so disoriented as I was his time.

To everybody: It wasn't easy for me to show a failed job publicly. But I knew that if there is a place where to find a loyal and encouraging critique it was here. I'm in debt with you all: Thank you.
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Gallery
    View images
    Your welcome.

Cel is one of the paper types you can choose in the Layer paper settings. You might need to press the little "next" button down to the right.

I'm not sure, but if you want to get rid of the little tail I think it's the pressure settings you should mess with.