Thread: New Tablet Advice

Gallery
    View images

New Tablet Advice

Hello I am on the lookout for a new Graphics Tablet and I have seen a reasonably priced Wacom Graphire4 that says it's compatible with Vista.
    Before I part with my money I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these...and does it actually work with Vista?
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

Gallery
    View images
    I don't have Vista, but is it so different that even writing a new driver would not be enough?

Mac had infinite computability issues through the many iterations of its OS.

Always aggravates me to think of the trail of perfectly useless though perfectly fine, far too expensive hardware in my wake.

My condolences. :roll:

Gallery
    View images
    Hi Bumble. Look at this site
    http://www.wacom-europe.com/int/down...er.asp?lang=en
    I hope it'll help

Gallery
    View images
    The official site has Vista drivers for graphire 4 and it is fully supported. Which means that if it doesn't work ok you can get your money back. The feature page for the Graphire 4 has this image:

http://www.wacom-europe.com/int/prod...lang=en&pdx=10

I have a Graphire 4 Classic XL. (A5 size. Really good size to use with a laptop. Not too small and it fits snuggly in the laptop bag.) I have Windows XP though. But I feel very happy with my Graphire 4. I do wish that I had one of the really macho ones that senses when you tilt the pen and stuff. But they are way beyond my prize range.

(The only difference between classic and studio version is that the studio version includes a whole bunch of software.)

Gallery
    View images
    http://www.academicsuperstore.com/ma...&qk_srch=wacom

If you have any school age children you qualify for academic discount.
    Just a thought.

Gallery
    View images
    I bought the Wacom Graphire 4 Classic XL A5 recently. I'm working XP, but on the box it states 'Works with Windows Vista' and a link: www.wacom.eu/vista

I shiftet from A6 to A5. It was unexpected to me how big a difference that makes. I have had to 'unlearn' the way I used the pen and 'relearn' to use it again. The reason for this is that the paint area is bigger - but my screen size is the same. So every time I made a line I had 'learned' was say 2 cm long on screen - it became approx double the size in length (4 cm).

The biggest bonus was the amount of extra buttons. It's so great to have two side buttons and the e-razor in the other end.

Happy hunt,
    DoodLS

Gallery
    View images
    Thank You everyone for your help... Now I just have to wait until I have the money to buy one!!!!
    Bumble on deviantART
    Bumble's Photos
    Friendship is the song in your heart and friends are the ones who sing it back to you when you forget the words.

Gallery
    View images

Re: New Tablet Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Bumble
    Hello I am on the lookout for a new Graphics Tablet and I have seen a reasonably priced Wacom Graphire4 that says it's compatible with Vista.
    Before I part with my money I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these...and does it actually work with Vista?
    I just bought a wacom graphire 4.. it has a label that says compatible with vista.. there is also a cdrom specially for vista

Maybe check the label on box before you buy?

Gallery
    View images
    I don't have Vista but I do have a MAC and I also run Windows XP on it. Wacom is compatible with everything so if something isn't supported, they will have the drivers for it in short order. Since Wacom is so popular and for good reason, it works, all the OS's make sure they have compatibility to it.

With a larger tablet if you have desktop room, you can be more comfortable. I like to just sit back and draw with the table on my lap. I have some trouble with an elbow, kind of a different repetitive injury than Carpel Tunnel, so the use of the keyboard is not as good for me, whatever the tablet can do, whatever I can use to navigate with the pen is better still. And I have the Intuos, so surfing the web and dragging my finger is nice.

Besides, it draws really nicely.

Getting something which costs more like this tablet was difficult for me to justify. But I wouldn't trade it now. I have a Graphire at home and at work and I do use the Graphire still at work. I also tried an Aiptek tablet which turned out not to be so compatible with many programs I use. Or the program would crash on account of the tablet. No good.

In the end with the Wacom, you do get what you pay for. You can search for the best price.

I also got a keyboard which is adjustable for easing my wrist and elbow problems, and some bean filled cushions to fill in the gaps. Much more comfortable. I got a Gold Touch keyboard. It is nothing like the more widely used Microsoft Natural Keyboard. My elbow was in the worst pain of my life after using that. No, this is adjustable in two axis by 30 degrees both ways, so you can get quite a tilt, and with a lever, easy to flatten it, to put your keyboard draw away. It doesn't have a numeric keypad but it has a num-lock key which allows you to use the standard keys on the right hand for a keypad or you can get an optional separate keypad. Now I can use my wide Wacom 6" x 8" on my keyboard drawer next to my keyboard so it is much more comfortable for me. It is the change of body positions which is important, and I can type comfortably with the keyboard also on my lap. It promotes a neutral wrist. It is especially bad on your writs when your hands are cocked up at the wrist. I you are used to touch typing, the time to adapt to the keyboard is minimal. I got mine on Ebay for $35.00, with shipping is was still under $50.00. I got a good deal.
    We are in the process of becoming.