ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: 2.5: Some widgy comments and suggestions.

2.5: Some widgy comments and suggestions.

Hey guys ... Started using 2.5 to do some rough thumbnail sketches for a client, and overall I love the new tools and interfaces. Great work! A few comments after just the first couple hours of use, though:

1) The layer transformations are useful but run awful slow on my dual-G4-1.25Ghz, 2GB RAM machine. (Was working on a small 300dpi canvas, about 2000 pixels wide.) When rotating or even just moving a layer, I had to constantly wait several seconds for the transformation to 'catch up' to my stylus, then try to move the stylus again to get the right position. I'm not a programmer, so I dunno how hard it'll be to fix or optimize this, but it is a bit of a drag.

2) Minor note, and I don't know if this is new in 2.5, but I notice that when I export to a jpg, even though the filename I type in the dialog box uses lowercase "filename.jpg," the actual filename in the Finder comes across with an uppercase extension, "filename.JPG." Not the end of the world as far as I can tell, but a bit of an odd inconsistancy ... both within the user interface, and also considering few other apps create uppercase extensions anymore.

3) Also a minor note: I love the new layer tools, including the palette itself and the addition of groups and layer names. However, I notice that when I collapse a layer group, instead of the palette shortening itself as I would expect, it instead drops down along the edge of the screen. (That is, rather than the top edge of the palette remaining fixed and the bottom moving up to shorten the palette, the opposite occurs: the bottom edge remains fixed and the top slips down towards it.) I haven't noticed if this is consistant with any other palettes within ArtRage, but it seems kind of counter-intuitive compared to the behavior of most palettes in other applications.

Sorry to make such a mountain out of three little molehills! Trust me, guys, the application remains awesome and this update only makes things better! We love you guys!

Odd...

1. I run a little over 1GHz laptop with 1GB of RAM. I see no noticeable lag in my work until the file breaks the 10MB range.

It may very well be some optimization you need to do on your end. You're not one of those users who runs WindowBlinds, a music player, burns a DVD, rips an audio CD, and chats on 17 different IRC networks at once are you?

2. I always export and then just type the filename and hit enter. On the other hand, I typed in ".jpg" just to see if *that* did it, and it didn't for me. That might be another thing on your system. I've no clue on that one though. I know there are "hide file extension" settings and the like, but...

...and anyway, who cares? :lol: Seriously though. If you want, use something like THE Rename to rename them from Cooner1.JPG to Cooner1.jpg. It's free and very robust.

3. I've often wondered this same thing, but I don't consider it counterintuitive because it is not a function you rely on. You know what I mean?

For example, if you expect that button A should do function A from left to right, and top to bottom, then fine. That may be important if we were doing text replacement in a word processor.

In an art application, specifically as a behavior, not a function it makes little difference.

It's when you click to contract the group folder and ArtRage disappears that you have a problem! :lol:

I have 1.83 ghz. 2 gig ram. At 300 DPI my art pen at 12% thickness lags. The line keeps up with the brush, but when you lift your pen the program gets unresponsive for a second. The layer transform lags so much at 300 DPI that It can't really be used with the accuracy needed.

These things really disrupts the workflow. I absolutely love using artrage for just having fun drawing, but when I want to draw stuff that I am considering getting printed for the wall I tend to give up and switch to Photoshop after a while... Artrage is much easier and fun to work in, I really wish they could optimize it to work better with printable resolutions.

Edit: Closing firefox actually made the brush stop lagging. Didn't think just one browser window would mean that much. So I closed everything but artrage, including the programs with the little icons down in the far right corner, like the Openoffice quickstart and Antivirusscanner in the hope that it would make Layer Transform usable. No dice. Still as laggy as ever.

I'm beginning to think that the transform layer thing is actually a bug, and not a performance issue. I mean, besides the points in this edit, one whole extra gig of ram didn't really help at all.

Re: 2.5: Some widgy comments and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooner
    "...rather than the top edge of the palette remaining fixed and the bottom moving up to shorten the palette, the opposite occurs: the bottom edge remains fixed and the top slips down towards it."

Hey Cooner, One thing to keep in mind is that the ArtRage team is in New Zealand. Way down there bottom and top are likely reversed to the way we think of it. :lol:
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

1) I don't try to do a million things at once, but I do usually have a few things open that I need to bounce around between while I'm working. As a test, I rebooted and launched ArtRage without launching anthing else, and yeah, that did make the transformations run a lot more smoothly.

But still ... there's a little disappointing clunkyness there. I mean, there are days where depending on my work I'll be using three or more out of Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Painter, GoLive, NeoOffice, and any of a dozen smaller apps, jumping back and forth between them as necessary for the work at hand, and they all work with much larger files and with little or none of the lag I get in ArtRage ...

Again, ArtRage is an awesome program and I'm happy to use it ... I just wish I could use it more, and I'm hopeful maybe the good folks here can look into a little extra optimization as they work on further versions.

2) I SAID it was a minor point, and doesn't seem to cause any problems, but it IS an abberant behavior ... I don't recall any other application I've ever used showing a filename one way in the Save As... dialog and having it show up a different way in the Finder afterwards. So I figured I'd point it out, let the coders decide if it's something to look into.

3) Fashmir: LAWLZ.

And the behavior is counterintuitive to me in that it doesn't behave the way I'd expect it to ... The way I work I like to push all the palettes as far towards the corners of the work area as possible, and expect them within reason to stay there. With the layers palette, I push it up, where it only stays until I expand and then collaps a group, when it suddenly appears down by the color palette and I have to move it back up again. Sadness.

I also notice the transformation lag is already being discussed over in the Technical section ...

Thanks guys, and best of luck!

Aaah.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooner
    And the behavior is counterintuitive to me in that it doesn't behave the way I'd expect it to ... The way I work I like to push all the palettes as far towards the corners of the work area as possible, and expect them within reason to stay there. With the layers palette, I push it up, where it only stays until I expand and then collaps a group, when it suddenly appears down by the color palette and I have to move it back up again. Sadness.
    Ooo, I never thought of it like that. I always leave the layer palette where it is.

I can definitely see that being a problem though.