ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copyright on stencils?

Copyright on stencils?

This just may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if we are able to use the stencils in a piece we plan to resale?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum section, I wasnt sure where to post this question.

Not finished yet, but I used the fuzzy stencil (I LOVE that thing!) in this illustration, but got to wondering if I could still sell it as a print?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    jess

In my opinion (and I believe the law would support this) you have created something unique and original. You have used the stencil as a tool in the creation of your artwork rather than simply doing a "rubbing" of an entire finished work and leaving it at that.

I would say that no one has grounds to object. I personally want to encourage artists to make money with their art when ever possible.
    Be well,

"Teach, Learn, Thrive"~DM

Thank you for your opinion! The creators of artrage seem to be so unusually accomodating, that I really didnt think they would have a problem with it. I really wanted to make sure though.
    jess

Hi Jess,

just have a look: http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrageethics.html

They say you may sell any artwork created in Artrage. I canīt image that artworks which use stencils are excluded from that license terms... :wink:

Marco

I'm pretty sure the Brothers Rage would say that the stencils are just another tool you paid for, like the airbrush or glitter tube.

Thank you marco! That was very helpful.

robertswade- good point!

-I am feeling a sense or relief now!
    jess

Just to make this absolutely clear...
    Any artwork you create in ArtRage with any of the tools (including the stencils) you have complete copyright to. You can sell, distribute, exhibit, or whatever you like with your own Art.
    You may NOT give out any of the actual stencil maps that shipped with ArtRage to any of your friends. The stencil maps are copyrighted to Ambient Design - just like the program itself is copyrighted to Ambient Design.

So just to restate that: Any art you create with the stencils (or any other tool) is entirely your own. Do with it whatever you like. But the stencils themselves (and the other tools...) are copyrighted to Ambient Design.

Be aware that different copyrights may apply to other stencils you download from the Internet. If you dont have the permission of the stencil creator (or whatever image it is you're using for the stencil) you probably dont have the right to incorporate it into your own artwork.
    As a general rule of thumb with images from the 'net, according to the letter of copyright law: If you didn't make it, you can't use it, unless someone says you can.

We're saying you can use our stencils, and any art you make with them is yours. But you're not allowed to distribute the stencils themselves.
    Clear as mud?
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Here's something that may interest you... The Stencil you're using is based on something I did with an old filter we wrote. It's the transparency mask for this (or maybe another one, not sure).

Glad to see it put to good use
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Alright Matt. . .

Into the Gallery with you mate along with the rest of the Rogue artists.

You lost your programmer status. Making art. Sheeeeeeeep.

As a caution to the rest of you programmers. . . this is how it starts.

Write a little art filter. . . and you're still a programmer.

Then it's writing an art program. . .

Pretty soon it's the front end. . . and WHOOPS!!!

YOU'RE DOING ART!!!!!!!

I thought you were better than this.

BEWARE ALL YE WHO TAKE A RIDE ON THE SLIPPERY SLOPE!!!!!!!

Nice pic Matt. Brilliant. <------ See? Now people are probably going to ask how you did it. And to make a tutorial.

Aw Phooey. :shock:

:lol: :lol: Aww DAkey ya make me laugh....its impossible to be laughter deficient hanging round with you.
    "I like to have a thing suggested rather than told in full. When every detail is given, the mind rests satisfied, and the imagination loses the desire to use its own wings."
    ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich~